Feeding your Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericsze

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do fish stop eating when they get full? Or do they just eat whatever is in front of them. My fish always look hungry and will eat everyting...but I don't want to overfeed them. What should I do?

I keep my filter and skimmer and everything else in my sump. How will my tank stay clean if i just have an overflow skimming the top of my water into the sump? Doesn't all the leftover food and debris sink to the bottom of the display tank?

Do fish stop eating when they get full? Or do they just eat whatever is in front of them. My fish always look hungry and will eat everyting...but I don't want to overfeed them. What should I do?

They will eat and eat and eat and eat. Most SW fish are not like gluttonous goldfish and eat until they explode, but most will eat more than is healthy for them. Feed no more than your fish can eat in a couple of minutes once per day. If you want to feed multiple times, cut the time down to one minute.

I keep my filter and skimmer and everything else in my sump. How will my tank stay clean if i just have an overflow skimming the top of my water into the sump? Doesn't all the leftover food and debris sink to the bottom of the display tank?

Thus is the need for waterflow in the tank. A strong return pump with a couple of returns and a few strategically placed powerheads or closed loop or whatever you choose for water movement, can keep the detritus off the bottom and in suspension until it is removed by the overflow and skimmer.

In addition, a good cleanup crew consisting of reef hermits, snails, shrimp, conchs etc...will help in taking care of leftover food and keeping the substrate clean as well as controlling algaes.

Back
Top Bottom