Feelin' The Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishstixs05

Aquarium Advice Freak
I put in a lager maroon clown into the 30 gallon that already holds a maroon. What I was hoping for is that the smaller would change sex and they would be hanging out together. When I first put the big one in, "nemo" :roll: :roll: :roll: (not my idea) went straight for him and they immediatly tussled, nemo grabbing ahold of the other one's fin and both swimming around. THey would stop, and then go at it again. Neither showed a submission belly to the other. Now nemo is back to hiding behind the rock, like he did when I had a damsel in. Is is possible that nemo has been alone so long she will stal female? of does this happen before they begin to get along. It has only been a day, but I really don't want to stress out nemo, he had just started to be swimin' everywhere and was growing quite well. Any tips by those who have kept clowns would be appreciated.

I think you have to start with two juveniles for them to pair up. If they are bigger it's not a good idea to add more than one to a small tank, as you've found out. I think you should take the large one out or Nemo is done for.

I don't believe clowns are capable of switching back and forth. In a school the largest will turn female, next largest male, and all others will be sexually inert. If you want a pair you need to start with 2 small ones or find someone selling a mated pair.

Well they are starting to hang out a little together. Even if they are not a pair can they still hang out? Part of the reason Nemo was finding is the f#&%@*g CB shrimp in there. He is nipping at all the fish. I cant seem to get him out cuz he just hides under the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom