feeling.. really nervous.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twilyte

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok.. my dad came home today with a large red knobbed african star fish. a rather large one. they are carnivorous... im scared that it will eat our shrimp and fish. we fed it a piece of silverside.. and the dumb shrimp was ripping pices off right next to it. really scared. anyone have any experience with this critter? he's probably 4-5 or maybe 6 inches across.. do you think he'll eat my fish?:(

Are they aggressive carnivores or are they "eat what's handy and can't run from me" carnivores? In the second case I would say that as long as you keep easier food in front of it , it probably won't be chasing down your livestock. But I have no experience with that particular star.

A small specimen will eat algae. As it grows older, however, it is not reef compatible, as it will eat soft corals, sponges, tubeworms, clams, starfish, and other invertebrates. It should not be housed with puffers. NOT good for your aquarium. They will also eat smaller fish.

i just hope that if i give him plenty of frozen fish he wont be interested in anything else. it isnt really my choice as to whether it stays or goes.

twilyte said:
i just hope that if i give him plenty of frozen fish he wont be interested in anything else. it isnt really my choice as to whether it stays or goes.
it isnt really my choice as to whether it stays or goes.

mabe not but with the right research like you are doing and bringing this to your dads attention should sway is choices :)

Back
Top Bottom