Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2005, 02:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
few coral questions

I just brought my first corals, my tank has been up for 4 months and i purchased a small colony of zoos. I also plan on keeping polyps and shrooms. I have 2.6 watts per gallon and was told this would be sufficient for the lower light corals. My questions are, what additional test should i run. Do i need to feed the corals i listed? What should be placed the highest in the tank. Right now i have the zoos just below the middle of the tanks height (total height is 21 inches).

What exactly is coral propogation? i think its just growing corals onto other rocks, is this right? how exactly is it done.

Any addition comments will be highly appreciated.

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 10:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

anyone??? i also got a small colony of star polyps, my zoos seam to be doing fantastically. My stars have been in the main for 3 hours and havent opened up yet, is this normal? My zoos opened up shortly after i put them in.

TIA.

Old 06-26-2005, 10:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
what additional test should i run.
ALK, CA, NH3, NO2, NO3, Ph, PO4,
Quote:
What exactly is coral propogation? i think its just growing corals onto other rocks, is this right?
Pretty much, yes. High quality water parameters and a good ALK/CA balance will certainly help. So will more light.
Quote:
Do i need to feed the corals i listed?
Not directly. They will feed on light and get other food during tank feeding time. Just make sure you have enough flow to bring fod particles to the corals.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks lando, before i had both of my powerheads pointing upwards and towards the center to break the water lightly, i repositioned them, and now my star polyps are waiving in the current so i assume this is right. I already have the basic seachem test kit, so i will have to just pick up calcium and phosphate. One other quick question. I have a couple of urchins and they knocked part of my polys over durning the night, my polyps arent attached to a peice of LR, its more of a carpet that i have placed on a peice of LR, is their any way to secure it? Anything else you guys think i should know. Thanks for all your help.

Old 06-26-2005, 04:23 PM   #5
Avi
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'd add that you ought to put the zoanthids up as high as you can iwith that kind of lighting. They'll do all right out of direct light in a reef that has intense lighting, but you don't so I'd say that they really need to be toward the top of the rock under PCs. I had PCs until recently and my zoanthids did very well, so long as I had them high.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

so what should i put on top, right now i have a small colony of zoos and star polyps. i plan on getting shrooms and yellow polyps as well. which should be the order from requiring the most light (place on top) require least light, place on bottom.

TIA.

Old 06-26-2005, 05:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Zoos and star polyps will handle and do well in a variety of light. I have 250 MH's and they are not an issue at all w/ either. They love light, but can also tolerate lower light conditions. I would place them near the top. In lower lighting growth will be slower and color not as intense. The shrooms and yellow polyps should be fine if kept lower in the tank, try midway to start IMO. HTH
Old 06-26-2005, 05:09 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
yellow polyps want high light, least lighting would be the shrooms, polyps do better with more light.
you mention you have an urchin....it might graze your corals, so you should keep an eye on it. As far as securing your polyps, take the piece of rock out, dry the area you want to attach the mat to, apply super glue gel to the rock, pat dry the back part of the mat, apply glue, stick pieces together. Put this rock in a bowl of tank water for 10-15 minutes to let the glue set up nicely, then put it back in the tank.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks guys, i will keep that in mind. As far is the superglue goes, any type of superglue would be safe, i have the silicone stuff for tanks, would that work? below is a pic i just took. My zoos are on the left side, and polyps are right above the clown, do you guys think i should move them. I also been thinking of re-aquascaping to get higher in the tank. thanks again.

Old 06-26-2005, 07:31 PM   #10
Avi
Aquarium Advice Activist

The silicon for tanks isn't a good idea. It isn't meant for and isn't good for drying in a flooded situation. It's intended for using before a tank is full of water.

Another thing...you should get into the habit of blasting your zoanthids with water using a turkey baster on a regular basis. This will clean them off between their polyps where detritus tends to get trapped and then serves as a harbor for fungus and also adventitious algae. Once they get a grip on the zoanthids, it's very difficult to bring them back to health. I do it twice a week...more often wouldn't hurt. It's also a good reason for having a good flow over the zoanthids.

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com