Fiance itching like crazy after cleaning filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

contactpsb

Aquarium Advice Regular
My fiance took our biowheel out and cleaned it and the blue filter pad which was caked with grossness. We have a lot of algae in our tank and haven't really been sure what to do about it. Anyway, now an hour later he is driving me completely crazy, saying that he is itching all over and insists it has something to do with the algae. He even took a shower but it didn't help. I told him it's all in his head but he's getting pissed! I looked online and could find nothing, so he insisted I come here and post to see if anyone knows anything. I don't want you guys to think I'm insane - I almost created a different user name because I was embarrassed to ask this for fear of being laughed at LOL

Not sure about the itch, maybe the other regulars can help with that one but I know the biowheel should not be washed off at all, unless it won't spin, and only with tank water as tap water will eliminate the bio-life present. Grab some rubber gloves they help you & the tank not get contaminated!

He could be having an allergic reaction to something in the tank or some material in the filter. Has he had his hands in the tank before with no reaction?

I would suggest a benadryl and monitor him for any signs of anaphylaxis. Also get him some shoulder length gloves, available at the LFS or online to work in the tank, reaction like this tend to either fade down to no reaction or get seriously worse, don't take the chance.

There is a good possibility a bristleworm may have been hiding in the filter floss. In which case he could have lodged some setae in his skin. If you find any one area on his hands that looks like a rash, that would be my guess.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom