Fight Broke Out!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firerescue2002

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had anticipated this problem and was expecting some sort of confrontation, but hoping for the best. My plan was to buy 2 Maroon Clowns both at 1.5" and see if they would pair. I bought the fish from the same LFS out of two tanks from different parents as told by the LFS and confirmed by ORA, we called them from the store. :) I had been observing the fish for about 4 weeks at the LFS, monitoring the behavior, health, and diet. They were both in great and eating well. So I bought them took them home acclimated them to a 3hr drip into the QT. During acclimation I put them together hoping all would be fine and it was. They checked eachother together and than swam side by side in the bucket. There were a few instances of hostility when on would sneak up on the other the two fish would bang sides, this was not enough to really worry about so I thought. They were placed into the QT and seemed fine the mild hostility stoped and they both ate for me. I monitored for about another hour until my tank lights shut off still fine. In the morning when I awoke one was dead and the others pectoral and caudal fin were torn. I immediately tested my water SG 1.024, Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrate .10ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, ph 8.2, POH 0ppm, and temp at 82F degrees.
The alive clown is doing great and has already started healing. I still want to keep two maroons in hopes that they will pair. obviously I need to monitor more closely. 8O

Any suggestions on adding another maroon? Procedure? Should I divide the 10 gal. QT with plexi glass so that they are separated but can become aquainted? :? I ordered this book from amazon.com Joyce D. Wilkerson book.. Clownfishes and have not yet received it.

Thanks for your help,
Andrew

I will hopefully be picking up the other maroon this weekend. And I will try the introduction again. I was just wondering what you guys suggest as far as procedure. What has worked with your new introductions, and what has failed? I don't want the second attempt to be a failure as well, i probably wont sleep at all this weekend.

Andrew

Salt4Us said:
Sorry for your loss :(

Thanks, he had unusual banding and decorative spots on his tail, he was my favorite of the two. I was pretty disappointed. I have pics of them swimming together in the acclimation bucket if I can figure out how to convert my images on my computer to format this site.

Andrew

I would re arrange the tank, then turn the lights out 10 min before you put the new one in. then wait 10 min after before turning on the light. If it's aggresion that might help.

A link to pair up clownfish from another forum.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=215098<br%20/>

Sorry to hear about the loss. :(

Good link above. I think the specimen container is the best bet with a slow acclimation process. When you bought your Maroons were there multiples in one tank? If so, just curious why you took two similar sized ones from different tanks? Not familiar with ORA?

Anyway, when I bought my pair of Maroons they were in the same tank at the LFS and one was slightly bigger and displaying what I thought might be pairing behavior, so I put them on hold. I watched them for about a week before I brought them home. 3 months later no issues the smaller male is definately submissive to the larger female, but no major battles and they swim together all the time.

I think the real key for you will be to buy a juvenal that is smaller than the one you have.

Good luck,

I really know nothing about sw but I know clowns are tricky since they pair up for life... I don't know how picky they are about choosing a mate, but I'm pretty sure if one has paired up before, it might not want to again... like if one you bought had his eye on a girl in the tank he was in, he might not be happy with someone you picked for him... just a though anyway...

just curious why you took two similar sized ones from different tanks?
I wanted to be sure the two clowns had different parents, even though inbredding is not a big deal in the animal world. I wanted to avoid genetic complications for the possibility of breeding later on.

Andrew

OK, makes sense, but unless you know the breeder they all could have been from the same lineage anyway just placed in different tanks.

Another thought I had would be to see if your lfs would take the current one back and let you start over. As I mentioned above I had success taking two of different sizes form the same tank. Since the are already cohabitating this might increase your chances.

In the event you get a pair and can get them to breed I would not worry about cross breeding until you get your first generation and then introduce new stock.

Good luck,

UPDATE

I purchased the new clownfish this weekend. I was not able to find one that was considerably smaller than the one that I already have about 2" so I bought on that was slightly smaller. This maroon came from the same LFS and from the same tank as my other maroon, so they had been tank mates. I acclimated the new fish and put him in the tank. The old clown immediately rushed the new clown and there was no submissive behavior. The new clown stopped and both fish turned sideways and wiggled together.<----Not sure what behavior this is....[ I was concerned so I separated the 10 gal. qt into equal halves. approx 5 gal. ea. with plexi glass. Both fish can see eachother. The noticalbe behavior is that the old clown rushes the new clown when he gets close to the plexi glass divider. Then the old clown wiggles rapidly as if he was trying to swim throughout the plexi glass. Sometimes the new clown mimics him move for move, other times he doesent care.

Is this a sighn that these will not pair? Should I give up on the compatibility of these two and try a another maroon? Or should I give it more time?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=215098<br%20/>

Thanks for this thread it provided me with some good awnsers and tips. But given what I have stated above I am hesitant to try even a closely supervised introduction. :?

Andrew.[/b]

Maroons are also known as the spine cheek clown fish because they have a spine in their gill they use for fighting similar to the tang using the barb in its tail. The sideways motion is their attempt to fight.

Dividing the tank is a good move. If the aggressive behavior does not subside in a few days I would say your chances of getting a pair from these two may not be good. The one you have has now been on its own and established territory.

As stated above, your best bet may be to start with two new fish purchased form the same tank at the same time. Make sure one is slightly larger. If they are all small (Juvenal under 2") size will not matter as much.

As stated above, your best bet may be to start with two new fish purchased form the same tank at the same time. Make sure one is slightly larger. If they are all small (Juvenal under 2") size will not matter as much.
As I mentioned these guys while at the LFS were tank mates and they are approximately the same size less than .5" in difference. And they are close but not quite 2". As you stated the one I have now has established his territory. What if I took everything out cleaned then tank and re distributed the decorations or added new ones all together. This should break up any territory that they had established, right? I just rearranged the tank when I added the new guy on Saturday and that didn't help.

The LFS has 3 other maroons in stock about 2" they were, tank mates with the ones that I have now. They just received Sunday a new shipment of 8 smaller ones about 1" and placed them with the larger ones in the same tank. The new guys were all at the waters surface in a group. The larger ones rush them from time to time. Should I take a risk and trade one of mine for one of their new 1"?

Andrew

Maroons are also known as the spine cheek clown fish because they have a spine in their gill they use for fighting similar to the tang using the barb in its tail.
I knew this, I was just un-shure if their wiggling was aggression or normal maroon behavior. After I lost the first one I figured it for aggresion. :wink:

Andrew

You could try, or trade them both for two smaller or larger ones form the same tank. Because the one you originally had was separated I think it has developed territory and it may be hard to pair it now.

It is my understanding with all types of clowns that if you put any two together that will get along one will eventually grow bigger and become the dominant female. Just remember IMO maroons are the hardest of all the clowns to pair and most suggest only keeping one per tank unless you get a pair.

Also, you stated they are in a 10g QT, but mentioned moving the decorations. Not sure what you have for decorations, but you may want to remove all decorations. Usually the best QT tanks are void of all rocks and are bare bottom which works well if you ever have to treat the tank. A couple of pieces of PVC work well for hiding places.

BTW, what size tank are they eventually going into? And what kind of tank mates will they have? I only ask, because besides being very aggressive they can get bigger than the average clown. One LFS I visit has an adult that is 7" plus. Most would suggest that maroons be the last fish added to an existing setup.

HTH,

One other thought, If you trade the two you have in, you might want to go with three small ones and eventually pull the odd man out depending on if a pair forms. Just a thought.

maroons are the hardest of all the clowns to pair
I realize this and I am up to the challenge.

10g QT, but mentioned moving the decorations
A few peices of black pvc and a sponge and a small peice of lr for bio filtration. Other filtration is a penguin 110. Bare bottom tank. I was thinking of buying maybe white pvc instead of the black moving the sponge to the other side and removing the no longer needed lr to break up territories.

They will be going into a 30 gal. tank with
6 Checkered Nerite Snails
15-20 Nassurius Snails
1 Fighting Conch
6 Mexican Turbo Snails
THEY WILL BE THE ONLY VERTABRATES

Andrew

As long as the penguin is established you should be fine. Is the "sponge" a sponge filter?

Sounds like a good plan overall, I hope it works out for you. It may just take a few tries as long as your LFS is willing to work with you it should all be good.

The more I learn about maroons the more I realize how lucky I was getting my pair. Just out of curiosity how much $ are maroons by you. Some LFS around her charge as much as $37 for a single 2-3". Again, I was lucky and found my pair for $14.99/fish. I usually refrain form PETCO, but once in a while they are good for a deal. :)

No, the sponge is just a sponge pad. You were lucky with your maroons Wish I was that lucky.

My maroons are costing $24.99 for 1"-2" and another LFS has a 3" for $45.00 but thier high on everything. My petco or petsmart here in Springfield, Illinois does not cary salt water fish, PROBABLY THE BEST FOR THE FISH.

Andrew

P.S. Thanks for your tips.... (y)

Back
Top Bottom