Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-09-2005, 02:18 PM   #1
cd5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fighting Cyano

My tank has been perfect for 6 months, know I have found some cyano and green hair algae starting to gain strength at the bottom of my tank, The way I am going to fight it is for the next couple of months just do big water changing with RO/DI water every week, that is how I won last time, another thing I was thinking of was removing all the rock and vacumming the top layer of my sand off(debris and buildup), does anyone see any problems in these actions

Old 12-09-2005, 02:24 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Might be a pain to remove all the rocks (depending on how much you have). You may be having problems with water flow, if the placement of your rocks are causing dead areas. Do you have many powerheads running? Lots of water changes sound good. What are your water parameters?

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:51 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
you may want to consult our articles area for a very informative article by Fluff, in combating cyano.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

do you have your own RO/DI filter? i just started to get a problem and i realized it was becasue at 6 months my filters needed replacing. there is detectable phosphates coming straight out of my RO/DI

steve
Old 12-09-2005, 04:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

i just won my battle by adding a fuge, more frequent water changes and of course chemi clean to give me a head start.
swissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:54 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You also need to cut back feedings to every other day. This is a big fuel factor for your algea.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My experience is that it is extremely difficult to get rid of entirely. I only got rid of it when I moved and transported my tank. All the same water, rock, etc but for some reason the move fixed it. That and lowering my feeding to be every second day, and changing from brine shrimp to flakes.

Don't get fooled by flakes. There are some extremely good flake foods out there.

I would also add phosphate filtering, a protein skimmer and check for any dying inverts. I think some of my corals slowly diing was a great cause of the problem.
flanque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Imteresting story here is that my cyamo went away on it's own. I have come to accept that my tank is still going through "new tank" syndrome and that I should expect the unexpected at any time. I have actually started to feed haevier(changed foods and how often they are fed) but my water change ritual has become almost religious, but only 12-14 gallons every week, ina 55g. Also added 2 Sieo M1500's, but that was about 2 months before it started to recede. Hope it stays away forever.....
Old 12-09-2005, 10:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Syn6644
I had cyano a couple of months ago and since I didn't have any coral or anything, I just left the lights off for about a week. After the week was up, the lights turned on and the cyano was gone. I haven't seen any signs of it since! HTH Good luck fighting it.
1 Bi-color Blenny
1 Scissortail
Several hermits
Several snails
2xSmall Brittle Stars
1xFrogspawn, 1xStarburst
2 PHs
Aqua C skimmer
2x96 watt Current CF
Syn6644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:23 PM   #10
cd5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
do you have your own RO/DI filter?
No I just buy from LFS

Quote:
You also need to cut back feedings to every other day. This is a big fuel factor for your algea.
That could be a problem because I have not moved my saltwater tanks to my house, still at parents, my dad does all the feeding, he thinks that because they act hungry all the time they should be feed more, but I have explain on several occasions that hurts water quality, He loves my saltwater aquariums
Quote:
would also add phosphate filtering, a protein skimmer and check for any dying inverts. I think some of my corals slowly diing was a great cause of the problem.
I wanting to upgrade my 20 gallon into a 75 gallon soon so I don't want to buy anything too expensive if it is not going to transfer the a 75 gallon easy
Quote:
I had cyano a couple of months ago and since I didn't have any coral or anything, I just left the lights off for about a week. After the week was up, the lights turned on and the cyano was gone. I haven't seen any signs of it since! HTH Good luck fighting it.
I have corals and some probably need more light than I am giving them

Tags
cyano, fight, fighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com