Fighting Cyano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cd5

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank has been perfect for 6 months, know I have found some cyano and green hair algae starting to gain strength at the bottom of my tank, The way I am going to fight it is for the next couple of months just do big water changing with RO/DI water every week, that is how I won last time, another thing I was thinking of was removing all the rock and vacumming the top layer of my sand off(debris and buildup), does anyone see any problems in these actions

Might be a pain to remove all the rocks (depending on how much you have). You may be having problems with water flow, if the placement of your rocks are causing dead areas. Do you have many powerheads running? Lots of water changes sound good. What are your water parameters?

you may want to consult our articles area for a very informative article by Fluff, in combating cyano.

do you have your own RO/DI filter? i just started to get a problem and i realized it was becasue at 6 months my filters needed replacing. there is detectable phosphates coming straight out of my RO/DI

steve

i just won my battle by adding a fuge, more frequent water changes and of course chemi clean to give me a head start.

You also need to cut back feedings to every other day. This is a big fuel factor for your algea.

My experience is that it is extremely difficult to get rid of entirely. I only got rid of it when I moved and transported my tank. All the same water, rock, etc but for some reason the move fixed it. That and lowering my feeding to be every second day, and changing from brine shrimp to flakes.

Don't get fooled by flakes. There are some extremely good flake foods out there.

I would also add phosphate filtering, a protein skimmer and check for any dying inverts. I think some of my corals slowly diing was a great cause of the problem.

Imteresting story here is that my cyamo went away on it's own. I have come to accept that my tank is still going through "new tank" syndrome and that I should expect the unexpected at any time. I have actually started to feed haevier(changed foods and how often they are fed) but my water change ritual has become almost religious, but only 12-14 gallons every week, ina 55g. Also added 2 Sieo M1500's, but that was about 2 months before it started to recede. Hope it stays away forever.....

I had cyano a couple of months ago and since I didn't have any coral or anything, I just left the lights off for about a week. After the week was up, the lights turned on and the cyano was gone. I haven't seen any signs of it since! HTH Good luck fighting it.

do you have your own RO/DI filter?
No I just buy from LFS

You also need to cut back feedings to every other day. This is a big fuel factor for your algea.
That could be a problem because I have not moved my saltwater tanks to my house, still at parents, my dad does all the feeding, he thinks that because they act hungry all the time they should be feed more, but I have explain on several occasions that hurts water quality, He loves my saltwater aquariums
would also add phosphate filtering, a protein skimmer and check for any dying inverts. I think some of my corals slowly diing was a great cause of the problem.
I wanting to upgrade my 20 gallon into a 75 gallon soon so I don't want to buy anything too expensive if it is not going to transfer the a 75 gallon easy
I had cyano a couple of months ago and since I didn't have any coral or anything, I just left the lights off for about a week. After the week was up, the lights turned on and the cyano was gone. I haven't seen any signs of it since! HTH Good luck fighting it.
I have corals and some probably need more light than I am giving them

Back
Top Bottom