Figuring out my flow rate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 60 gal reef setup, and am trying to figure out a good flow rate. i have two pre drilled holes, one for out 1", and one for in 1/2". right now i have about 700 gal per hour, which the 1" hose isn't handling and is creating syphons and sucking in air and making lots of noise.

the question is, should i just reduce the flow rate so the tube can handle it, or should i get an overflow box and make both the pre drilled holes for returns. i just thought more flow was better, but if it wont make much difference only having 600 gph as opposed to 700 gph, id rather reduce the flow and have the tank look nicer. thanks for your help! :)

I have a 60 gal reef setup, and am trying to figure out a good flow rate. i have two pre drilled holes, one for out 1", and one for in 1/2". right now i have about 700 gal per hour, which the 1" hose isn't handling and is creating syphons and sucking in air and making lots of noise

Is this on an acrylic tank or a glass tank with a built in overflow?

its an acrylic tank with the bulkheads at the top of it. the one for the out just has a strainer type thing on it.

A lot of times a small hole in the top of the return or drain will help aleviate this problem..it will also keep you from getting a back feed should your pump ever go out. Not sure if you already have this or not...but if you dont, add it..it will help.

Squishy

As Squishy said a hole or a way to have the drain line breath will help quite it down. The gurgling is the air being traped in the drain and it having to force its way up and out of the drain. If your overflow is quite at 600 then ya you could back your flow down to that and supplment with a few pH's.

i tried the T fitting with a cap already, but no matter what sizethe hole, the pump pushes the water faster than the hose can drain it. how many gph should i be moving total in a 60 gal? with phs and all Thanks for your help

BBReef does your water level slowly rise in your main tank? If your overflow is able to maintain the water level in the tank then its able to process the flow rate your pump is producing. its just that the flow rate is toward the upper end of that flow rate.

maybe a dorso standpipe would be in order.

Back
Top Bottom