Figuring out my pH Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think I've narrowed the pH problem I've been having to not doing enough pwcs, or at least large enough.

75 gallon tank
75 gallon sump
25 gallon macro tank
25 gallon frag tank

200 gallons total

I currently do about 40-50 gallons every month, and should be doing closer to 80 gallons per month. I've also not been as religious in my doing them as I should have, so I'm going to start doing 40 gallons (20%) every two weeks. I'm working now a little more frequently to increase my pH slowly with pwcs. We'll see how it goes.

Just thought I would post an update for all of those that have the same struggles.

IME, increasing the amount of PWCs will help just about any water chemistry or parameter issue. Were you noticing a drop in Ph as time went on after a PWC?

I agree with Lando PWCs are a great way to keep things in balance. Do you have glass tops on your tank? Do you have good surface agitation? Do you have your Fuge on a reverse lighting schedule or do you keep the lights on it all the time? What is your SG?

The decreases were not being monitored close enough to tell, but it appears that things are headed in the right direction after tests. I need to get more accurate tests, which I'm ordering today.

I don't have glass tops, and the sump, fuge and frag are all open. The light schedule is on a reverse schedule, with the fuge and frag tank on the same time.

SG is 1.022, temp 78, alk 8 dKH, pH now at 8.0 (from 7.9 last night...going to do another pwc tomorrow), Calcium 400ppm, need a mg and Iodine test...ordering today.

Maybe with some new tests something will become apparent as to why I can't keep shrimp.

Is this a reef tank or a FOWLR? If you have a reef you really want your SG up around 1.024 that will help buffer your ph up some as well.

It's a reef tank. I'll slowly move it up to 1.024.

Anyway, two of the shrimp showed today for the first time in about 4 weeks, so the reports of their death were greatly exaggerated. A couple did die, but it may have been an acclimation issue. Anyway, the experience has gotten me back into the hobby seriously, so it's a good thing. I suppose starting the new job and all plus a three year old pushed reef keeping into the background.

Salifert tests ordered today.

Are you testing at the same time every time. You said "pH now at 8.0 (from 7.9 last night"

My pH also drops to 7.8- 7.9 at night and increases during the day enven with 24/7 lighting on the sump/fuge.

I'm using a calibrated Pinpoint probe for 24/7 monitoring of pH.

Hey Bear!

Saw you ordered the Salifterts. Might want to invest in a PH probe/tester. Can pick them up on eBay for cheap. Much eaiser than figuring out colors on the test card... Remember to get the calibration solution if you do that.

Back
Top Bottom