Filefish Aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tuwhada

Aquarium Advice Activist
i was wondering if anybody knows how to tell when their filefish is being aggressive. I have a blackbar or redtail whateve ryou want to call it and last night I got this beautiful flame/fire filefish. I read that they are territorial but that they only require about 20 gallons of space, I have a 90 so I figured I would give it a try. I have not really noticed any problems yet but I wanted to know what to look for.

Thanks
Christina

I am not sure which filefish you have. I have a Bristle-Tail Filefish in my 90 and no problems with other fish.
Filefish cannot be mixed, you cannot put 2 files in the same tank even of diff. species.
I have a Chaetodermis pencilligera / Prickly Leatherjacket in my 300 and if I put the bristle tail in my 300 with him, the Prickly Leatherjacket would kill him.

Hope this helps & 1 file per tank
Kaye

Well I have had the 2 together now for about 4 days and all seems fine. The new one is just really skinny, he is not gotten the routine down yet so he does not seem to come out for feedings but I think that he is getting some remananets back there. He comes out and about in the afternoon and my other fish seem fine with him. So far I have not noticed any probs with the 2 files together.

Thanks
Christina

As they mature I think you will have problems. Filefish can seem fine for for days, weeks even a few months and than all of a sudden turn. They become intolerable of other filefish. Here is a good article on them http://www.wetwebmedia.com/filefish.htm

It is hard to find good information on these fish.

kaye

Back
Top Bottom