Filling New Tank With Snow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok this is probably a stupid idea but I came up with it in the shower

have a new 180 coming this friday and its gonna be hooked up to a 40 gallon sump and 30 gallon refugium....

... my RO/DI only produces 50GPD

so 5 days to fill it up

i was wondering, would it be possible to fill the tank with fresh, clean snow and let it melt to fill it?

as long as the snow is clean, the water should be pure just like RO/DI right?

maybe run the water through a UV sterilizer for a day just to make sure nothing is in it.

what do you guys think?

in theory that works but in practice i wouldnt try it. Snow falls through a few thousand feet of our emmissions ... just think of it this way would you make RODI water then set it at the tailpipe of your car... or then fart in it? i wouldnt go for it

in theory that works but in practice i wouldnt try it. Snow falls through a few thousand feet of our emmissions ... just think of it this way would you make RODI water then set it at the tailpipe of your car... or then fart in it? i wouldnt go for it

you dont fart into your RO/DI water before adding it to the tank?!?!?!

.... OOPS!:rolleyes:

Snow and rain water may seem clean but it can in fact be very dirty. The only thing I can think of to get it to go faster is to go buy RO water and add that, or just wait and let the RO/DI fill the tank.

I've always just used tap water for the initial fill. It gets cycled and changed out so many times before I put fish and corals in it that I don't mind.

Back
Top Bottom