filling tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

1.i was reading the sand bag and it says to rinse it out. can i use regular tap water for this? or do i need to use ro/di water?

2.i got about 12 lbs of rock and don't know if that can be rinsed with tap water also?

3.do you mix in the salt before you add the sand?

4.i bought 'kent marine pro buffer dKH and was wondering when i put it in and how much for 55 gallons ( i dont have a water test for this)

thanks

1. you can use a garden hose and a five gallon bucket, put a few inches of sand in and then rinse throughly until the water runs clear.

2.If the rock is live rock, then no, use saltwater in a bucket to rinse. If it is dry rock, then yes, fresh water is fine.

3. Mix the salt properly in a bucket, then add to the tank. Use RO water.

4. Do not add any chemicals at this time. You may NEVER need to add the chemicals. The salt mix should take care of anything.

i got two 55 gallon bags of instant ocean salt was that a good choice?

my tap water is well water and VERY gross...full of crap still ok for the sand and rock?

I would still use it to rinse the sand and such. I forced the end of the garden hose under the layer of sand and let the water overflow. The junk flows out the top while the sand stays in the bucket, periodically swish it around a bit.

Salt mixes are like makes of cars, everyone has their own opinion on which is best ;)

Personally, I dont care for IO.

would you recommend to use water conditioners even though i used ro/di water?

No you dont need water conditioners. I agree just use your well water to rinse the sand and rock if it is dry. I also agree you dont need a buffer as your salt water and subsequent PWC`s will take care of your tank needs.

how long after i mix my salt can i add sand in?

should i purchase lights before i get live rock?

mix up the saltwater. The sand and the water can go in at the same time. liverock does not require any special lighting to remain "live". Live refers to the bacteria on it. If you get liverock that has other life forms on it such as coral, then you would need to be concerned about lighting.

im getting liverock that will be just bacteria so i can seed my aquarium (do the amount of other live things change the price?)

marty_wolff said:
im getting liverock that will be just bacteria so i can seed my aquarium (do the amount of other live things change the price?)
Generally, no. If you get a piece of LR with a piece of coral, yes (you are basically buying the coral and not the LR). LR will have critters that pop up and live. You should only have to pay around $8/Lbs...I have seen REGULAR LR sold for $12.99/Lbs, but that is pretty high.

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=279

above is the adress of the metal halides that im looking at(take a look and let me no wut u think
the guy at the store said that dual strip compact fluorescent(adress on the bottom) are not even worth buying but im also looking at them because of the price. would i be able to have any coral i wanted with the fluorescents? are halides mandatory...ive read about the UV light it puts out and i dont want to get skin cancer or something like that... do UV steoralizers help with getting rid of the rays?

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=293

Back
Top Bottom