Film on top of my water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skip_16157

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a cloudy film on top of my water. Not sure what it is. My conditions are good (ph 8.2, trite 0, trate 0 and ammonia 0). I've not over fed. I just noticed it recently. Is this a bad thing.

Sounds like DOC Film.

How good is your surface movement of water?

Increase you're water surface movement and that should helpl

DOC = Disolved Organic Compounds

aka disolved fish foods and fish waste

If you do not have anything skimming off the top surface of the water and your ph's are not giveing a good ripple effect on the topof the water you can collect a thin film as you describe.

doc's

My tank gets this also...I have a really dinky air driven skimmer that I have pretty much decided might make a good rifle target but not much else. I use a Python ( or Lee) faucet pump, which is basically a venturi, to pull water from the tank when I do a water change. I run the end of the hose just under the surface so that it pulls most of this stuff out. That seems to work really well...might be something to try. Mine seems to only get bad if I overdo the invert food.
Logan J

Sump?

I take it that you do not have a sump? If you get one in the future, you may not ever have to worry about film on top of the water because of the over flow....It will remove the film. If you do not have one, or plan to not get one, the advice you got before is good. Another thought though. You could try a pair of ladies panty hose streched over a painted coat hanger...Makes a great hand skimmer...JMO

skimmer

Panty hose stretched over a coat hanger! That is DIY at its best. Never thought of that but it sounds like a great idea.
Logan J

I'd suggest a plastic coat hanger and nude panty hose... My fish find it appealing =)

Plastic?

How do you bend a plastic coat hanger? That is why I suggested a painted one.

Nude, Blonde, Etc... he he he he he

Plastic?

How do you bend a plastic coat hanger? That is why I suggested a painted one.

Nude, Blonde, Etc... he he he he he

You wouldn't believe the strange looks you'll get when you ask your wife for an old pair of pantyhose and tell her you need them for the aquarium. :)
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom