Film on top of water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NarwhalLover3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a hob skimmer on my ninety gallon, but recently turned it off. It wasn't properly skimming and was putting out a bazillion micro bubbles. Ever since I turned it off, there's been a light tan film on top of the water. I also noticed an almost overnight explosion of reddish/brown algae all over the sand. It looks horrible. Should I plug it back in?

I would plug it back up, then Goole your skimmer model to see if there's a way to reduce the bubbles. Most skimmers can be tweaked or modded to reduce the bubbles.

Definitely plug it back in. And point a PH or two towards the surface to cause ripples on the surface (if you don't already), it'll help prevent the layer building up.

You can quickly lay a paper towel on the water surface and yank it back out to quickly remedy the situation until you get your skimmer worked out.

I have a hob skimmer on my ninety gallon, but recently turned it off. It wasn't properly skimming and was putting out a bazillion micro bubbles. Ever since I turned it off, there's been a light tan film on top of the water. I also noticed an almost overnight explosion of reddish/brown algae all over the sand. It looks horrible. Should I plug it back in?

Yea plug the skimmer back it. The film will impede gas exchange, with the skimmer running you shouldn't have much of a film or any film on the surface. Having a powerhead directed towards the surface will break the film if it forms and prevent gas exchange from slowing or stopping.

Micro bubbles are really common from skimmers. They can be reduced to a certain extent, but still........annoying.

A lot of people (myself included) will fashion a bubble trap of sorts. Can be as easy as a small plastic box with a spnge laid in it to be placed under the outlet of the skimmer on the edge of tank. Might have to get a little Macgyver action going here and take a walk around the pet store and home depot to come up with something.

Thank you everyone. I worked on the skimmer for about 30-45 minutes and got it all cleaned. It's still pretty loud and the bubbles are frustrating. I think I'll have to make a bubble trap of some sort like mentioned above. I'll keep the paper towel trick in my mind for next time it happens. Hopefully I'll get a new a new one for my birthday. I'm hoping a refugium setup, but I be more than happy to have another hob one.

He I remember that thing. It worked great before I had a skimmer, although its just another unsightly piece of equipment in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom