Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Film on top of water

I have a hob skimmer on my ninety gallon, but recently turned it off. It wasn't properly skimming and was putting out a bazillion micro bubbles. Ever since I turned it off, there's been a light tan film on top of the water. I also noticed an almost overnight explosion of reddish/brown algae all over the sand. It looks horrible. Should I plug it back in?

Old 12-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would plug it back up, then Goole your skimmer model to see if there's a way to reduce the bubbles. Most skimmers can be tweaked or modded to reduce the bubbles.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Definitely plug it back in. And point a PH or two towards the surface to cause ripples on the surface (if you don't already), it'll help prevent the layer building up.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can quickly lay a paper towel on the water surface and yank it back out to quickly remedy the situation until you get your skimmer worked out.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarwhalLover3 View Post
I have a hob skimmer on my ninety gallon, but recently turned it off. It wasn't properly skimming and was putting out a bazillion micro bubbles. Ever since I turned it off, there's been a light tan film on top of the water. I also noticed an almost overnight explosion of reddish/brown algae all over the sand. It looks horrible. Should I plug it back in?
Yea plug the skimmer back it. The film will impede gas exchange, with the skimmer running you shouldn't have much of a film or any film on the surface. Having a powerhead directed towards the surface will break the film if it forms and prevent gas exchange from slowing or stopping.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Micro bubbles are really common from skimmers. They can be reduced to a certain extent, but still........annoying.

A lot of people (myself included) will fashion a bubble trap of sorts. Can be as easy as a small plastic box with a spnge laid in it to be placed under the outlet of the skimmer on the edge of tank. Might have to get a little Macgyver action going here and take a walk around the pet store and home depot to come up with something.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you everyone. I worked on the skimmer for about 30-45 minutes and got it all cleaned. It's still pretty loud and the bubbles are frustrating. I think I'll have to make a bubble trap of some sort like mentioned above. I'll keep the paper towel trick in my mind for next time it happens. Hopefully I'll get a new a new one for my birthday. I'm hoping a refugium setup, but I be more than happy to have another hob one.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of skimmer is it?
Old 12-21-2012, 05:45 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had the same problem. Until I bought this cheap and easy attachment. Film was gone in 10 min and has yet to come back.
Aquarium Surface Skimmer
Old 12-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

He I remember that thing. It worked great before I had a skimmer, although its just another unsightly piece of equipment in your tank.

Tags
film

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com