Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2003, 01:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to bmccullough Send a message via Yahoo to bmccullough
FILSTAR CANISTER FILTER

Please Help
I have a Filstar XP3 after running filter for two months I broke it down to replace media and pads, now I can not get it to work again, it will not run. I can hear it trying to but when I add water in the water intake it will cycle but will not start. What am I doing wrong????

Old 12-19-2003, 02:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
hey I also have the same thing, and with a saltwater no less...

1) Okay first of all is the thing primed?
2) Was the media placed correctly? ***
3) Did you rinse any of the media you put in there?

***(may be the bigger issue)

Old 12-19-2003, 03:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to bmccullough Send a message via Yahoo to bmccullough
I tried to prime it by put water in intake valve, it would try to cycle by exspelling some water but then would quit until i put more water in intake valve and water filling to certain level then it would expell again.
yes did rinse the new media, and I called the company that makes the filter they said that media could go in any of the trays.

I checked online before trying to put together and i thought that i followed the directions but it still does not work.

Please Help
Old 12-20-2003, 11:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
I'm assuming the filter is under the tank.

Try pulling out the impeller and reinstalling it if you haven't already. If you already tried this, start from scratch...empty the water out of the canister and tubes.

1. Lift the quick-release lever so the water does not leave the tubes

2. Pour water down the intake tube until the water goes to the top of the clear tube (use the unbelievably tiny funnel for this).

3. Push down the quick release lever. The water will flush down the tube, and the resulting suction will pull water into the canister and force air out of the output.

4. After all the air comes out, wait two minutes

5. Turn on the filter

Apologies in advance if you already know how to do this and have tried it. If you can't follow the directions given in the box, don't worry, you definitely aren't the first, they are terrible.

If all else fails, and you followed all these steps, turn the filter off, lift up the quick release lever, pick up the filter and gently tap the bottom against a hard surface (the bottom of the tank stand if it's on one). Push the quick release lever, and turn it back on. This works for me when the filter's making noise. If none of this works, and there are no leaks (meaning the system is airtight), I would have to say the pump is bad, or the impeller is not seating properly.

HTH!
Old 12-20-2003, 06:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to Apollo
Priming

This may be gross but necessary.

Inhale on the output tube.

This will draw water into the filstar.

-Benjamin Franklin
Apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 10:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Gunnie
I have tried rocking it side to side (while it's running), and this sometimes helps. Also, (forgive me if that's what was just posted above), but my husband will plug it in, and then unlock the tube thingy while it's still running. When the water starts coming out from the filter, he quickly puts it back on and locks it in place. Sometimes when he does this, there's not enough water in the filter to begin with, so he has a pitcher of treated water ready to pour in to make it full enough. We have an XP2 and an XP3, and both are sitting in 99 cent dishpans for this reason.

Smoky Mountain Aquarium Society

Joseph H.S. Mills (AKA: Trauma Jewel) 1/18/36 - 3/1/04. I miss you dad!
Gunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 06:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I havn't experienced a problem priming my XP3 but have come had problems with it being noisy because of trapped air. What i have found is if you pull up the quick connector so that the water will not flow, un latch one of the four latches holding down the top to the canister. Slowly close the quick connect until it purges out the air in the canister. Re-latch the lid and voila no more noise. Might help for your problem as well.

Ian
Old 12-22-2003, 07:57 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Try rocking it from side to side with the canister full this might help it to function.

Tags
canister, canister filter, filstar, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com