Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brianmatje

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is for my friend he asked me if he could put on a a regular "Whisper" freshwater filter(hooks on back of aqaaurium) for his small saltwater tank. HE doesnt want to spend a fortune on a filtration system. I just want to know if it will work a little it atleeast.

check out our articles section and read up on the Berlin Method. You don't "need" any filter equipment if you properly set up sand and live rock and let nature filter your tank for you. Check out our books section as well, pick up a copy of the conscientious marine aquarist, it will give your friend a lot of good advice.

Does it use the filter pouches, I am not familiar with the Whisper filter but I think it uses the pouch type filters with carbon inside. If that is the case then you copuld use it to filter the tank as long as it you can turn over the water at least 6 times. It would be nice if it had a 2 stage filter so you can change just one at a time. So as to not kill off the benificial bacteria that would be in the filter.

But to answer your question...yes, you probably could use it. But you may want to look into a better method of filtration later on.

Mike

let's not kid ourselves liverock and live sand aren't the cheapest 8O I have a combination of a power filter and lr and it works good for me. I can't remember where I read it but the whisper isn't a very good filter.

I've exclusivly used the whisper filters on my FW tanks for many many years without a single problem. I just read that article and it seems that he's based every sectin of the review on one fault he experienced.

I had a whisper that I had used on a FW tank that had a sand substrate and had a pleco that loved tostir up the sand resulting a lot of sand getting cought up in the impeller. The sand reeked havoc on the impeller but I never had a single problem with it even though it was heavily damaged by the sand.

Back
Top Bottom