Filter as macro home?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdogg85

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am going through a tiny battle with cyano right now. Not bad, nippin it in the bud before it gets bad. I was wondering, could I use my emperor 400 as a housing to hold some chaeto or would that be bad. I would clip a light on it to feed light. I don't have a sump nor the money to set a proper one up right now.

That's exactly what i'm doing right now. I don't have anything like a sump or fuge so i'm modding my AC70 to hold sand, LR rubble, and macro. I know that people also do this with their AC110's since they're alot bigger and can hold more things inside like a 6 inch heater, retardedly small pump for flow, etc.. I think it's a great idea for people on a budget, or that just don't have the space for another tank.

However, the only problem i foresee is the macro eventually jamming the impeller in the pump... But maybe by then you could just get another Filter to replace the one that broke. Not sure, but i'm still doing this anyways.

Could I use something like fine plastic screen mesh to keep it from growing to the impellor. I would think a clip on cf light would suffice for light.This is only temporary, it's a 75g tank, and in a few months it will be the sump for the 150g I have downstairs. I wish now I had got some right ater the tank cycled to starve the cyano out before it poped up. Oh well could be worse I guess. Thanks for the replies.

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. That way you can just take the screen mesh out and clean it if it gets gunked up. Thanks for that kdogg.. ;)

Wow! This sounds like a good idea, I have a marineland 350 magnum canister....Do you think this idea would work for me?

I use the screen idea in my sump. I have my macro in the return area so the pump wants to suck it in. I made a small cage from eggcrate and covered that with screening. Works pretty well.

So plastic mesh with the macro lightly packed and a light up top should give a good result. I don't have to worry about water flow through the filter. I'm assuming a weekly trimming to get rid of excess growth would be in order as well.

Back
Top Bottom