Filter Media Safe ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishtale

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is Fluval Clearmax safe for corals and invertibre ?
All advise is welcome.
I'm trying to reduce phosphate and have carbon running in a canister.
I've tried using Kent marine phosphate sponge with no results.

My PH is an issue as well I can't get it past high 7

Thanks in advance

The best way to reduce phosphates is by using RO/DI water for water changes. Are you doing this or using tap?

It is as simple as nutrients in and nutrients out. You need to figure out where the imbalance is. Excess nutrients in are caused by overfeeding and not using RO/DI water for water changes and topping off. Insufficient nutrients out are mainly caused by insufficient water changes. You can increase the output with a phosphate media reactor. I would use GFO in a Phosban reactor, these are better than a canister (which are not generally recommended on saltwater tanks). This is a better way to use carbon if you use it.

I bought two types of phosphate reducer
I wondered if there was any input on either brand so I can use them or trash them. One was fluval the other Kent

I have not found GFO as of yet I have to find a supplier

I do use only RO water and change every week 10% and use carbon in a canister have a fantastic skimmer 30 gallon sump with 5 compartments. My salt is ocean H 2O great product I like it!

I do not over feed
All other parameters are good phosphates are an issue for me

The only other issue is I would like to increase my PH

Have you tried bulk reef supply? They have cheap GFO and reactors too pretty cheap and easy. It took me months and months of pwcs' with ro/di water to get rid of my phosphate issues. It can be done without GFO. :)

I'm in Canada so my reef supplies and ability to purchase corals and such online like from the divers den are greatly limited to say the least.
How did you reduce phosphate without GFO ? changing water ?
How often ?
My tank is healthy lots of growth
Just want to get rid of phosphate issue and would like to increase PH slightly
My nano keeps better parameters than my 100 gallon

I did ALOT of water changes, sometimes larger ones. I have a sea hare and blenny who ate any algae and the phosphates slowly faded, down from 4ppm.

I think BRS delivers to canada btw. :)

Water changes are the most effective way to reduce phosphate/nitrate without GFO if overfeeding is not an issue.

Back
Top Bottom