Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2004, 06:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

filter medium in an established marine tank

just wondering what you guys using in your marine tank once you have a good biological filteration system in place, live rock and all. lets hear you ideas

Old 11-08-2004, 07:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

1.5-2lbs/gal. of LR, DSB and LR rubble in the sump. Seems to work well for me.

Old 11-08-2004, 07:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have 1 lb per gal LR,LS and I also used Play sand instead of LS in my fowlr.
2-3" sand bed is plenty and nothing in my sump except equipment. IMO rubble in the sump will collect waste over time like bio balls do causing a nitrate problem.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 09:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

so is it in your opinion that you don't put anything in your filter? not even a sponge? so what's the purpose of a filter again??? maybe i'm not reading that right. I don't have a sump, but large hang on tank filters.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The main benifit with HOB filters are mechanical filtration (removal of detritus via a filter pad) and they create more flow. They also contribute to bio-filtration a little bit. You can also use them to run carbon if you like. If you have enough bio-filtration (LR and LS) with a good clean up crew you can skip the mechanical filtration. Seaham and I have different opinions on the use of LR rubble in the sump. While it is true detritus can accumulate,the LR rubble acts in the same manner as LR in removing nitrates. Plus, I use a sponge over the intake of my sump line so it takes out the big chunks anyways. Seaham uses a sump without LR to add water volume to the tank and store equipment. I am sure it does just fine. It is just a good example of how different techniques can yeild the same end. the choice is really yours.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:41 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

so if i use a sponge in my filter, and i have some of those ceramic lil cones, i should make sure i rince them often once i get an established biological filter in my new tank? I don't like the idea of running nothing in there, because i see all the crud that the sponge catches.....yuck. If i'm understanding correctly it is crutial that you rince your medium to keep the nitrates down.....or was that nitrites....... which ever the bad ones are, you know what i'm trying to say

Tags
filter, filter medium, marine, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com