Filter mod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfighter

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a fluval 306 canister. I've heard of people putting In liverock as filter media. What do I take out to replace it with?

You remove the normal filter media, whether it's bio balls or ceramic rings/balls. Then put the rubble in its place. If you leave the sponge and filter floss in make sure you clean it often as it can build up with left over food and feces which decomposes and increases nitrates and phosphates.

Can you do the same for a hob filter, I would just take out the blue media and then but some live rubble rocks in it?

It has three layers in trays, plus tall sponges. Ceramic media, more sponges, carbon bags all in trays.I took out the sponges in the tray and replaced w rubble. Haven't hooked up to tank yet. Should I keep the sponges in tray and ditch ceramic or keep the way it is?ceramic, rubble, carbon.

So of the filter media I have, what should I keep and what should I replace w what?

Replace the ceramic with rock ruble, you can remove carbon but it will help keep the nitrates down, even better is add some GFO in with the carbon. Keep the sponge in as it will catch debris just clean it out frequently. Is this going onto an established tank or are you cycling? If your cycling remove carbon till its done the cycle.

Established. Always looking for a better way to keep it clean. Jawfish, purple dottyback, six line wrasse, russel's lionfish, brittle starfish, Condy anemone, turbo snail, about 10 hermits. Any care to comment on my bioload for a 55? The lionfish is about 4-5 in. Have a 90 but won't set it up til I move in the spring. I also have a few corals but nothing major.

I think your stock is fine. Since its established leave the carbon in and add GFO which will help keep nitrates and phosphates in check.

Anyone know what sort of clean up crew would work for me to help? I only have the one snail and less than 10 hermits.

Personally I prefer snails over hermits as they like to crawl on coral. I would think a dozen more snails or cut that down to 3 or 4 and a couple turbo snails. Also get half a dozen nassarius snails for the sand bed.

Back
Top Bottom