Filter options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flyin Fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering what you guys think. I am thinking of redoing my filtration in hopes of improving the performance. This is for a 100 gal system. I am currently using a magnum 350 for my main filtration. I have an overflow running though 3 layers of blue bonded filter and a 3 lb carbon bed. I'm tired of changing filters in the magnum. They are $15+ each, and washing them and reusing them doesn't work so well. They clog really fast after reusing them. My thoughts are to get a media basket for the magnum, and put the carbon in there. I want to ditch the micron filter all together and plum a UV sterilizer in line. Then remove the blue filter and replace with a micron sock. I know they need changed frequently but I can throw them in the washer, saving at least $30 a month on new 350 filters and improving with UV. Do you think the small (16 oz) media container will be enough for the system? Even changing it every 2 weeks or so? Thanks for your thoughts!

Why not get a good skimmer and ditch the canister completely? No wastes money on filters, no trapped rotting organics. All removed very simply through skimming.

If you need any mechanical filtration a filter sock for 24 hrs will clear anything up thats not to your liking. Canisters are a complete waste in many peoples opinions. Carbon can be run in a cheap reactor the price of 2-3 filters for your canister. Save your money and get a skimmer, enjoy a cleaner tank as well.

I have a Reef Octopus in the sump now. Just thinking the magnum could serve two purposes as carbon and a pump for the UV. I plan on ditching the micron filter in the magnum all together just to get rid of the pain in the a** of constantly changing it at a monetary expense. Didn't take long to get tired of canisters. I hope your tanks are going to survive and your power is on soon Schism!

Flyin Fish said:
I have a Reef Octopus in the sump now. Just thinking the magnum could serve two purposes as carbon and a pump for the UV. I plan on ditching the micron filter in the magnum all together just to get rid of the pain in the a** of constantly changing it at a monetary expense. Didn't take long to get tired of canisters. I hope your tanks are going to survive and your power is on soon Schism!

Hey thanks, im surviving so far.

As far as a pump for the carbon and uv you could get a cheap maxijet or similar pump and run the UV and a carbon reactor inline with the same pump. Would completely eliminate the canister and be more efficient, just a suggestion.

But if not you can always use the canister as a media basket to serve pretty much the same purpose. Sounds like your on the right track.

Running out of wiggle room with the Mrs. right now for this month. Already talked her into the UV and possibly a chiller. I'll price it out and see if it's somthing I can do. hey wait tomorrow is the first!!!! :)

Flyin Fish said:
So to my first question, is 16 oz enough?

Carbon? It depends on the carbon and manufacturers recommendation. How much you use is not as important as how often its changed. Smaller amounts changed more often will be best.

Back
Top Bottom