filter options....do i need one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crage34

Aquarium Advice Freak
well i just set up my 30 gal with 2 maxi jet 600's , 30lbs of base rock, will have 10 lbs of live rock after the cycle, 35lbs of sand....i just started my cycle this weekend...i was told that if i did fequent enough water changes that my rock would be sufficient filtration...btw this is a fowlr tank. I have noticed a little debry on the top of my water (i think it is just a little garbabe that came out of the sand) and i have thinking about adding some type of filtration system... im thinking about putting an emperor biowheel on the tank but i wanted to see what you guys think i should do...i know nothing about canisters (this would be an option for me if recommended)...and i could add a skimmer but not really looking to spend the money for a remora which is what i would buy if i got one....please just tell me what u guys think i should do

also if u guys think i will be ok with the emperor, i have seen a couple of thread about taking out the biowheel or something like that cause of the build up of nitrates can u guys clear me up on that issue?

filter options....do i need one

No. Your sand and LR is your filter. A remora skimmer would be a great purchase IMHO. The gunk mine brings up daily keeps me satisfied.

Emperor = nitrates, at least with the biowheel. I'm much better after I stopped using mine. However, you might want to keep it around if you want to run carbon now and then. You don't really need it though unless you need the extra water flow. Your rock, sand, and a skimmer should be sufficient.

IMO, you should save up now, say $40-50 per month for a good skimmer like remora or bakpakII; you will need it in a few months. I run an emporer 400 in my 45g (without biowheels) on a timer for several hours per day. This thing moves a lot of water and keeps the surface active and oxygenated. This is very good IMO, to keep the surface aggitated and not stagnant with no skimmer in your tank. It also has baskets so you can put filter floss and carbon in at a fraction of the cost of new filter packs. I definately recommend a hob filter if there's no sump, refugium or wet/dry.

why would i want to run carbon every now and then? to buffer the water/clear it up a little...i have plenty of flow right now i think with the 2 power heads...they move the surface alot and i can see some sand moving at the bottom from the current i have goin...i can just see a bit of garbage on top of the water and was thinking about putting on an emporer to help clear it up and help maintain the clean water....if i get one i should take out the bio wheel because it stores nitrates? but there is still a filter behind the biowheel willl that help me?

Remember there's different types of filtration.. Mechanical, Chemical and Biological.. Your LR and LS will provide biological filtration and using GAC will provide chemical filtration.. but as you've noticed without any mechanical filtration there is usually a build up of organics that like to hang out at the surface (and also dissolved in the water column in general).

IMO the best mechanical filtration is a good skimmer with a surface skimming attachment.

so would a emporer just be a waste of money or is the carbon effective...if its not worth it i will probably just save up for a cpr

I don't think you need it and you would be much better off just saving for a skimmer.

I definately recommend a hob filter if there's no sump, refugium or wet/dry.

Again if you cannot afford a good skimmer now, a $20-30 hob is good to have; I like to use it along with the skimmer for gac & mech. filtering. I think you will find those that are against hob filters have an external filtration system like mentioned above or have had high nitrate problems from not rinsing them out. It's really a trivial investment given all else you are buying to get started. One or the other, however, should be employed.

Back
Top Bottom