Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2005, 11:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
Filter or Not?

I have a 65gal, with 80lbs or LR, and 3-4in. sandbed. I was wondering if I should use some sort of filter on it. I was thinking a fluval 404. But everything is fine right now. I also have a hang on the back fuge with chets and varios snails crabs. I was wondering if it would be necessary to add a filter or will things take care of themselves. also if I did go with the 404 what should I put in it?

Old 05-12-2005, 04:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

A filter is not essential on a system. Basically it is a very large powerhead. However, it is a good place to put carbon, chemi-pure,phosguard, basically whatever media you want to put in. I have one running with no sponges, just some chemi-pure and phosguard, other then that its empty. So it is really up to you, dont let a LFS scam you into buying one saying you NEED it. IF you have enough LR and a good protein skimmer you will be laughing!

Good Luck
SJS

Old 05-12-2005, 05:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldn't recommend a fluval... and I'll tell you why. I bought a 404, and the thing was nice. BUT... it was hard to pull it appart if you ever had to clean it out, and I wouldn't recommend that anyone put medications in there just because of the need to rip it appart to get in there. Some people say to take the bio material out of it and just use it for water flow. But then again, who wants to spend $100++ on a powerhead?

They're AWESOME for freshwater... or even saltwater if you clean it out every week. But for me, I'd go with a couple powerheads, 1.5-2 lbs rock/gal, sand bed, and a skimmer. Nothing else needed IMO. Plus, if you get yourself a sump, you can hide all your equipment underneath the stand!
Old 05-12-2005, 05:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tell me about it, Fluvals have to be the worst to get started. 10 beers later and i still have a noisy motor with no output. Not to mention a drunk mechanic trying to fix the motor, but it all takes away the pain of owning one!

SJS
Old 05-12-2005, 07:27 PM   #5
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a magnum HOB just to polish the water. I have a couple of very active gobies who like to stir things up a bit.

Two of the most beatiful reef tanks I have ever seen are located at a LFS in Portland Maine. She runs deep sand beds, live rock, and powerheads only. Since I have recently upgraded to a 90 gallon, I have decided to try it her way and see how it goes.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use my Fluval for carbon every now and then. Other than that, I let the LR take care of business.

Mike
Old 05-12-2005, 08:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So basically you guys are saying just use things such as phosguard, and carbon. So what are you suggesting possibly a canister filter?
Old 05-12-2005, 08:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't use a canister filter for anything else other than mechanical. The Fluvals do a good job, but as mentioned before, it is a hassle to clean them, and they do clog quite a bit.
LR is the best way to go for natural filtration, and you already have that.

Mike
Old 05-12-2005, 08:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would also like to add some carbon / phosguard mix. What should I put it in then?
Old 05-12-2005, 09:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Fluval comes with carbon and compartments. You can get re-useable bags for the carbon as well. Some others here may have a different idea on how to add carbon without a filter.

Mike

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com