Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2004, 10:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Filter pad question

Is it possible for the filter pads to be dumping nitrAtes into my tank. I have dsb and 40 lbs of lr, and 15 or so lbs of base rock. I tested my tank yesterday and my nitrAtes were on the heavy 20 ppm side, today after removing my filter pads last night, I tested and it is on the lighter side of 20 ppm. Also for some reason my water is clearer tonight. I'm gonna be testing twice a day for a while to make sur eit doesn't go back up but if it goes down even more then I am ok to leave my pads out? TIA.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 10:57 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
I suggest you don't use ANY mechanical filtration. It's simply not needed on a regular basis. It collects rotting matter and recycles your tank water through it over and over. I'm not surprised at your results. Sounds typical.
I assume this is your 46 gal with 55 lbs rock. With that LR and a DSB (and no other filtration except a skimmer) your nitrates should now begin to fall and will be zero in a few weeks.

Mark

Old 03-24-2004, 10:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like you almost have 1lb of LR per gallon in that 46 gallon tank. Your 15lbs of base rock will eventually become LR extremely soon. I wouldn't even use those filters if it were me.

Anyway, I think it is possible that they could be producing nitrates if they go "biological". If you really want to use the pads, I would rinse them out under tap water at least once a week to kill any nitrifying bacteria that may be living on it. The idea here is that you want your LR and LS to become your primary sources of biological filtration anyway...
Old 03-24-2004, 11:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
wait a minute, no mechanical filtration whatsoever? Then what does the filtration? Or is it that a refugium or LR only does the filtration?
Old 03-24-2004, 11:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
The rock is your Biological filtration. I would dump the mechanical as well. Just a nitrate trap. I just have about 80 pounds of LR in my 65. That is all you need. Lots of rock DSB, and flow.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for all the responses. I thought I could dump the pads. As long as my nitrAtes don't start to rise I'll be ok then. Thanks again. I'll post back this evening with an update.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 03-25-2004, 09:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I run micron pads when I notice heavy particulate matter. All I do is sink the pads in the return chamber of my sump. I run them about 24/48 hours. When im done (planned around a water change) I shut off the return and pull the pads. After that I take all the water out of the return chamber because those pads always dump a ton of what you collected back into the water when you pull them. Its a pain, but just my process if I have to use them. Aside from that I don't use any mech filtration at all.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 09:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't have a sump. But the nitrAtes seem to be dropping. I checked them midday today and it was just a touch lighter that last night.

Vote for AquariumAdvice

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com