Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edison9114

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In a 55 gal fish only tank, I have the following;

A Penguin 330 BioWheel filter, (330 GPH)

an Undergravel Filter using air bubbles, with four risers.

Is this sufficient?

yes but istead of an UG filter i would recomend a large sand bed. i think that UG's are older technology, but granted they do work. It's just with saltwater cleaning it would be a pain whereas a deep sand bed would do much the same thing more natrually.

JC

generally you dont, 5-6in. is sufficent. If you get a lot of algea and debris on the top, then you could vacume just the very top of the surface. using CC as a first layer then live sand you should be able to create a great little biological factory

How often should I clean an undergravel filter? I have abt 1.5 inches of CC on it.

i was gonna mention too that this website has a calculator section that would tell you how many Lb's. of sand and CC you would need.

im not sure but i htink you do at leaste once a year but you might wanna let some one else field that im really not sure

In my 55gal I use 2 penguin 330's and a Fluval 404 canister filter.
It all keeps my tank clean and crystal clear.

The undergravel filter is OLD technology and it pulls the fish waste under it where it gets traped and not cleaned up even by deep gravel vaccuming.
This can be dangerous to your fish.
IMO I would get rid of the UGF.

I wouldn't use CC as a base for LS, i have heard that the sand will eventually settle down below the CC and it can cause alot of nitrates (i think). I would suggest using some argonite sand as a base and seeding it with some LS on top.

two11devan said:
I wouldn't use CC as a base for LS, i have heard that the sand will eventually settle down below the CC and it can cause alot of nitrates (i think). I would suggest using some argonite sand as a base and seeding it with some LS on top.

I agree with this. Don't mix them. The DSB, if you choose to use one, will keep nitrates in check. It also adds to the biodiversity in the tank which, IMO, is good. If you have 1 1/2-2lbs of LR per gal, a DSB, and a decent skimmer, you really don't need any other type of filtration. I would ditch the UGF and wouldn't run any media in the Penguin...maybe use it for some AC once in a while. It will contribute to circulation just by running though. JMHO.
I have to add that not everyone supports the use of DSB's. Some swear by them and others swear at them. You should thoroughly research it before making your own decision. FWIW, I use a DSB in all my tanks.

Back
Top Bottom