Filter Suggestions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattP725

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if I should add a undergravel filter to my tank before adding the fish back in as well as teh LR. I currently have a Proquatics 1600 (I believe) canister filter which I think is rated up to 75g in my 55g. Since I have to do some cleanup it would be a now or never kinda thing... is it worth it?

Use a good water flow with a good protein skimmer with about a 1-2" sandbed and you will be set. THe canister is optional but if you use it clean it weekly. Skip the UGF.

captivereefs said:
Use a good water flow with a good protein skimmer with about a 1-2" sandbed and you will be set. THe canister is optional but if you use it clean it weekly. Skip the UGF.

I keep reading that a sandbed between 1/2" to 3" is a dead zone that can become a nutrient sink over time. Make sure you use a very fine aragonite sand. DSB is they way to go if you want denitrification.

steve-s said:
phases99 said:
DSB is they way to go if you want denitrification.
But it is definately not the only way :wink:

Cheers
Steve

That's true, my filtration systems consist of a 120watt sterilizor, 200Lbs Live rock, 1-wet/dry filter, & denitrate/phosphate removal filter. It all come down to what you are thinking of keeing in your tank then you can find various options, but please don't get an undergravel filter.

If you decide you want to try delicate organisms then you will need to keep your nitrates below 10. If you are doing FO then don't worry about it. My NO3 never goes above 5 with NNR. A DSB is cheaper in the long run as buying chemical media adds up over time.

phases99 said:
A DSB is cheaper in the long run as buying chemical media adds up over time.
There are other NNR methods aside from a DSB and much less problematic. A 1-2" sandbed with an appropraite amount of LR and quality skimmer will work amazingly well.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
phases99 said:
A DSB is cheaper in the long run as buying chemical media adds up over time.
There are other NNR methods aside from a DSB and much less problematic. A 1-2" sandbed with an appropraite amount of LR and quality skimmer will work amazingly well.

There are people misusing the DSB concept, and yes that could be problematic. What I mean by misusing is overstocked, overfed and/or underskimed tanks, use of sand critters, etc. Hopefully folks will do the needed research before they decide if a DSB is right for them.

Back
Top Bottom