Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VT8230

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am very new at this and i want to get everything right the first time. I am going to get a 120gal tank with FO or FOWLR. My question is what types of filters are worth the money. Witch ones do i need to splurge on and what ones can i do without. I want to keep types of fish that are compatable with clowns.

Thank you

Chad

The best filtration is live rock.
More info about your proposed system would help. Will there be a sump, built in overflows, etc?
As for mixing of fish, check out our chart. Will give you something to start with.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/SWCompatibility.php

Feel free to post some specific questions. We would be happy to help. :)
Also....welcome!! :D

You don't mention your budget, so I am going to present a cheaper alternative to live rock. You can definately run a fish only setup successfully the old fashioned way.

On a 120 gallon tank you could possibly use 2x Penguin Emporer filters as a biological filter to compliment a hang-on skimmer. Order from thatpetplace.com and you can probably filter for under $200. SeaClone makes a nice venturi model skimmer for a tank of your size.

This is not the optimal setup, but with a monthly 30 gallon water change you would have a very healthy system. Just be sure to test Nitrates prior to every water change and make sure they are not rising above 40ppm. If this occurs, you will want to change larger volums of water, up to 50%. The long term cost of salt could get expensive, which is why live rock is best if you can afford the initial expense.

Back
Top Bottom