Filters and Supplies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morphviper

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been helping a business friend with his website and product selection and was wondering if you all out there could check it out and give me advice to relay to him.
He is new to the website stuff, but been selling for years. He has great service and great products. He won't sell anything he won't use. I just talked him into going on the web to sell stuff.

Any help would be good and suggestion are fully welcome.

Thanks

www.aquaplumbers.com

for some reason he is having problems getting sales from the website and he is thinking that I gave him bad advice. so help me fix why no one is buying from his store

morphviper said:
for some reason he is having problems getting sales from the website and he is thinking that I gave him bad advice. so help me fix why no one is buying from his store
First and foemost, check your rating with the search engines. This is going to be your primary source of hits. The more traffic you generate, the more sales you get.

As far as products, the selection seems rather limited and geared towards certain tank sizes. ie.. 48" fixtures and replacement bulbs, large power filters, high velocity pumps and so on. I have no idea if this is the core of his business but I would suggest if he has a wider range of products to offer that he sets up categories with basic "everyone can use" items. This will genereate more frequent repeat sales. Also ensure that each category and subcategory has a comprehensive listing of items and brand choices, not just one or two items. If he sticks with his own preferences only, he will limit his market.

Cheers
Steve

Cool, Thanks steve, I will pass that on to him!

I think most of his stock is focused around 48" tanks because he told me he sells more of them than anything else.
I think that he puts stuff out there that he trust and would recommend to his own family is what he told me, but I will tell him to broaden things up.

Should he put decoration stuff up? I suggested he wait on that, because I know my self I want to see it first hand. am I wrong?

How about the prices? (They are cheaper than any lfs around here, so I go get my stuff there,since i have a service)

if anyone else has thoughts please send them to me!

I will give you some ideas about advertising that my company has found very affective:

1) Be a sponsored link on google. When you go to google, click on advertising campaigns. You can choose the "most hit" industry specific words, and when people search for these words, the company will come up on the right hand side. It is a minimal cost and starts generating some good traffic.
To give you an idea, we currently in a months time frame, have had 118 hits to our site and 44 of those were sales. And the cost of advertising - $22.75 - Cheap and effective

2) Place your logo, address on a couple of industry specific forums. Sites such as this, and other aquarium forums. Get user names for different forums and start promoting your site, give some deals to users in that forum, give gift certificates etc. Its all a way of generating traffic and getting people to your site.

3) Find a way to do some bargain shipping. We do free shipping on orders over $50, people always like things for free!!

Starting off with those ideas should get the blood flowing. I am a marketing guru so if you ever have questions ask away.

As for products, i agree with expanding the selection to different size tanks. The more products you have the more customers you will appeal to!

Alright i used up all my good friday ideas on this post. So good luck and let us know how it goes!

SJS

morphviper said:
I think most of his stock is focused around 48" tanks because he told me he sells more of them than anything else.
I think that he puts stuff out there that he trust and would recommend to his own family is what he told me, but I will tell him to broaden things up.
I understand what he's trying to do but those sales figures are based on local consumers familiar with his store. The main idea behind internet business is appelaing to customers that can't come to you. He aready has the local business to an extent, he needs to appeal to new business.

Also consider that larger tanks will commonly mean a more experienced and discerning hobbyest. So it will limit what is being purchased and lower the amount of return business. The main appeal should be targeted to the masses which is newer hobbyest and smaller tanks. Check out the getting started forum, most tank sizes are 29-55 gal, some 75 but the majority are on the smaller side. This is a market that should be catered to.

Should he put decoration stuff up? I suggested he wait on that, because I know my self I want to see it first hand. am I wrong?
Decorations? If he is selling both SW and FW parts, he could. Most people buy that kind of stuff on impulse, like when you are waiting in line at the store to purchase something. Rarely will it get much interest on a website unless dedicated to it.

How about the prices? (They are cheaper than any lfs around here, so I go get my stuff there,since i have a service)
Can't help you there. I only shop locally.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom