Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

which Filtration Method do you use?

• Live Rock + Filter + Protein Skimmer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Filter only

• Protein Skimmer only

• Filter + Protein skimmer only

• Live rock only

• Live Rock + Protein skimmer

• Live Rock + Filter (HOB, Canister etc.)

• Other (if so please mention what)

• Total voters

OceanMist

Aquarium Advice Freak
What type of filtration method do you use? Excluding sumps/'fuges etc, i'm trying to work out what would be best to use for the tank i'm stting up, could you also mention if the method you use is successful?! Thanks.

:D :D :D :D

I use live rock / and hang on back filter as well as weekly water changes of 20% , I have had good sucesses with that combo :)

I already have two canisters and have now got the skimmer I ordered (looks better than expected, with any luck it should be good), i'm trying to decide whether to use the canisters or not bother, only I'm not huge on the whole regular maintinance thing with canisters (trying to prime the things is a nightmare), also there is no need for the ceramics due to the lr i'm getting .. so it's a case of whether it's worth just using them for filter sponges, or not bother. anyway, opinions seem to be rather split on filters.

:D :D

I'm not huge on the whole regular maintinance thing with canisters

I rinse mine out once a month, and it self primes....fluvial 304....

worth just using them for filter sponges

In mine, this causes a lit of nitrates being stores. I believe if you have enough LR and sand, that should be enough, you could keep it for water movement and if you need to add carbon, every once in a while....

LR and a skimmer work great, but i think u need to have a sump to add water volume and increase area for gas exchange.

I rinse mine out once a month, and it self primes..fluvial 304..

The ones I have are older ones (Eheim & Seachem) , and are impossible to prime without a flood,

In mine, this causes a lit of nitrates being stores

This is what I do not like about canisters, and I don't really think it will be worth buying new filters just to run carbon.

I already have an under-tank refuge' planned, it will only be 15 gallon though due to space limitations under the display. I will be ordering around 40kg lr (85 gallon tank) and I already have around 20kg base rock, and a skimmer, so I don't think I will run canisters.

:)

Back
Top Bottom