Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Filtration Advice

Right now I am set up with a fowlr tank but eventually Im wanting to go with a reef setup. Here's my question. I dont have room for a sump or refugeum. I know both of these items are great to have but can I set up a reef tank without them? Ive got a 110 long tank and will have about 100lbs of lr before I start with corals. Right now im using two hang on the back power filters with carbon in the filters but I dont know how much good they do. What would you filtration experts do if you couldnt do a sump or refugeum?
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
Certainly have a protein skimmer if you dont already have one. That helps a LOT. Get one that is a bit over sized for your tank eg: 65+ for a 55 gallon tank. Adding a bit more live rock would certainly help as well. As long as you keep up with PWC it should be just fine.

You can keep the HOB filter if you like, just keep an eye on it and make sure your nitrates dont jump up too high. You need to replace or rinse those out when you do PWC. Sump / fuge is ideal, but I dont have one. i'm having a bit of an algae issue, but only from intially using tap ( slowly switching to ro/di). Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate have been stable. I use LR + Protein skimmer + HOB filter.

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Really all you need is proper amount of LR and a good skimmer. That`s all I used for many yrs.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thats what I was hopping for. I wasnt sure if getting rid of the HOB filter and replacing it with a canister was better or not. Any opinions?
Old 02-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
I wouldnt bother. HOB is fine since you have it. Use the money you would on the canister and get a decent skimmer

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Is the tank going to be on a stand? Most of my equipment is under the tank in the stand. A sump and fuge does not have to be giant and take up a room of the house or anything. I have a 20g tall tank that serves as my fuge and a 30g tote from walmart as my "sump". I have another small sump plumbed in that houses my LR rubble for added filtration.

If your tank is going ot be on a stand you will have ample room to do everything you need right under the tank. Personally I would not set up a reef tank without a sump, fuge and an excellent skimmer.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well my problem is in the way I built my stand. Unfortunately the way I built it was by placing 3 cinder blocks at each end of the table. Im using 5 2*4s running like floor joists spanning 6' framed in on top of the cinder blocks. I decided to put 3 more blocks in the middle to support the center which takes up most of my room under the tank. I can fit a 10 gallon tank under there but not a regular 20. Now that everything is setup I feel like I didnt need the middle support but I wasnt sure at the time. My problem was when we transported the tank, I really wasnt ready for it. I had done some research but not as much as I would of liked, therefore I had no idea about sumps and refugiums. Now im paying for it.

Tags
filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com