Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2004, 12:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Filtration Change

I read on a post earlier today that a canaster filter used for biological filtration isn't such a great idea. Unfortunately thats what I have. So I was thinking about going with the 2 lbs per gal LR and ditching the filter. After I buy and cycle the lr and add it to my tank, should i let it go with the filter for a bit or pull the filter right away. I already have about 50 lbs in my 55 gal. My substrate is CC, not LS, will this put too big of a damper on my filtration change idea because of the decreased surface area the cc provides compared to the ls?

Old 04-12-2004, 12:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
CC 's not terrible, LS would be better. CC will trap debris, needs cleaned from time to time and it doesn't provide any low oxygen areas for anaerobic bacteria to grow. The bacteria that process nitrate into nitrogen gas need a low oxygen environment to grow. I would cycle the LR add it to the tank and then scale back the filter. Not knowing much about your filter, if you can remove say..half of the bio-filtration media and then maybe a week later remove the rest. If thats not feasible then remove it all at once. Do you have a high bio load in your tank? If you have to remove it all at once, you may want to watch overfeeding and monitor ammonia levels...if you start to see any ammonia, do water changes to control. Seeing that you already have 50lbs in there, guessing you're gonna add another 50, I think you'll be fine.

Old 04-12-2004, 12:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

a couple damsels and a blenny are the bio load on my tank right now. I can remove the media in stages like you suggested, thanks
Old 04-12-2004, 01:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Are you going to leave the canister for carbon to keep the water nice and clear?

Here is what I have now...

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead
100W (maybe 150W) heater, but heating isnt a prob
1.5 inches of crushed coral
some decoration stuff including a couple peices of old dried coral.) Not sure if it is real to be honest...
Crappy lights that I am going to rebuild, just for come flourescents
excited_newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a HOB that I have been using for mechanical filtration that i have been keeping carbon in. I might get rid of that and use the canister for mechanical and keep the carbon in that. The flow rate through the canister is higher so I figure it would be better then the HOB, even though its a little harder to maintain.

Tags
change, filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com