filtration help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmh2536

Aquarium Advice Regular
The lion and trigger in my 120gal produce alot of waste and i dont think that i have enough filtration to accomodate all this waste. So far i have about 145lbs of live rock, which is my biological filtration and a tuboflotor protein skimmer in a 20 gallon sump which seems to be always foaming. I found some inline filters made by Pentair Aquatics/Lifegard. They make a "mechanical" and "chemical" filter that i was looking at. I was wondering if anyone has any expierience with these filters or if you think these would be a good idea for some added filtration...

i dont think that i have enough filtration to accomodate all this waste. So far i have about 145lbs of live rock, which is my biological filtration

Do you hava a DSB? I do think you could stand to increase the amount of LR to around 180-200 lbs. What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?

I found some inline filters made by Pentair Aquatics/Lifegard. They make a "mechanical" and "chemical" filter that i was looking at

IMO, these filters (unless serviced often; weekly or twice weekly) will simply cause more nitrates in the system.

so far my nitrates are at about a steady 20ppm, nitrites are always at 0 and my ammonia is at a steady .50ppm...

Rather than the filters, I think you would be better served by adding more LR and replacing the CC with a DSB.

ok i'll probably buy some more liverock soon and i'll think about the DSB..thanks for all the advice reefrunner

i'll think about the DSB

Duh...

I shouldn't have suggested this. Triggers are not considered DSB friendly and changing it out might cause more problems than you have with the CC. The CC is fine if you keep it vacuumed, otherwise you might think about a satellite DSB (in a seperate tank like a sump or refugium) and a SSB.

I have trouble believing that 145lbs of live rock can't accomodate a single Lion Fish and trigger, even though the later is universally agreed as a pig in terms of waste production. The trace ammonia levels and stready presence of nitrate would seem to indicate a handicapped bio filter system if you ask me.

By chance are you not getting good enough water circulation through the LR? Tried using a power-head or two, like a beefy Aquaclear 802 to punch some circulation through your LR formations?

If your skimmer is placed in a way where it gets really efficient water turnover it shold have no problem keeping up with two good size fish.

Inline filters will work, but they'll require constant changing to keep trapped matter from decaying and causing the same problem. A pound of AC in an inline filter will keep your water looking pretty though.

I have 3 maxijet 1200 PH's in the tank, two aimed at the rocks and one aiming at the top of the water to get more oxygen in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom