filtration question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdl91881

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a 55 gallon FOWLR tank and im looking to add a wet/dry filter.

would it be better to get one for a 75 gallon or a 125 gallon?

With LR you don't need (or want) the additional biofiltration of a wetdry. They are so efficient at converting ammonia to nitrate that you will end up with an abundance of nitrate. At least that is the common school of thought. At any rate you do not need to put out the $$ for a wetdry when you may only want a sump. Wetdrys make excellent sumps once the biomedia is removed but so does a rubbermaid tub. You may be ahead of the game by thinking refugium rather than a wetdry.

Mark

i was going to take out the bio balls and just use it for a sump, as i get more live rock, but at this point i only have about 5 lbs of live rock and 45 lbs of base rock. iwas just wondeing if the 125 would be overkill for the 55 gal tank.

Size the wet/dry so you have a sump the size you want it to be.

Depending on how long that base rock has been in the tank it could be classified as live rock at this point.

If you are planning to leave the bioballs in until you get more live rock, make sure when you start to remove the bio balls, only remove a few a day. Removing all of them would remove a significant amount of the bio load and will have adverse effects on your tank rather than good ones. Its kinda like weening your tank off of there bioball addiction. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom