Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question Fin injury?

My clown fish has recently lost his complete left fin except for two little bones because of another fish in my tank bullying him. I took him out first mostly because without a fin he was the easiest to catch and i put him in a small tank to hopefully recover. I took the other fish out and returned him to the pet store this morning. My clownfish are still very small but my two questions are how long can they be separated since they are a pair and will his fin ever completely grow back??

Thanks for your help

Old 11-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a goldfish that had no fins left just bones and he was fine for a year until he got killed, but he wouldve been fine. Melafix wouldnt hurt. GL!!!!!

Old 11-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

If they are still as small as you say, I doubt they have 'paired yet'. Sexual maturity would mean they would be bigger. Just because you've had them swimming as a pair, doesn't mean they are a pair, if you get me?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

so the clown is a true nemo with a gimp fin
Old 11-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post
so the clown is a true nemo with a gimp fin
yea haha thats exactly what he is
Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton79 View Post
If they are still as small as you say, I doubt they have 'paired yet'. Sexual maturity would mean they would be bigger. Just because you've had them swimming as a pair, doesn't mean they are a pair, if you get me?

Yea i understand what your saying but will the other clown except him and swim with him still or will he bully nemo?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Since they're not a true mated pair I'm thinking you'll be fine to put him back with the other if and when he recovers. One of them is going to get "bullied" its part of establishing dominance to determine which one will become female. The odds are just against him now that, should he recover, he will become the female.

Out of curiosity, what was it that was picking on him? My clowns pretty much run the show in my tank lol.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

it would become the male, the females are the more dominate
Old 11-15-2011, 11:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea, hard to be the bully when you're down a fin. One legged man in an a** kicking contest lol.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallinCrew10 View Post
Since they're not a true mated pair I'm thinking you'll be fine to put him back with the other if and when he recovers. One of them is going to get "bullied" its part of establishing dominance to determine which one will become female. The odds are just against him now that, should he recover, he will become the female.

Out of curiosity, what was it that was picking on him? My clowns pretty much run the show in my tank lol.
Well its kind of a long story because our friends had a saltwater tank with a coral banded shrimp, mandrin goby, and a tomatoe clown but they couldnt take care of it so it was just dumped in our basement and we were going to figure out what to do in the morning. The shrimp and goby didn't make it through the night and the clown looked very sick and we couldn't just watch it die so we threw it in my tank. I know that was a really dumb thing to do but the plan was to leave it there over night and take it to the pet store but that never really happend and i got more and more aggressive.

Tags
fin, injury

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com