Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2004, 06:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
i was reading on all of the sites that you need to feed it about 1-2x times a week. the lfs also feed them. i feed the fish and other things in the tank flake food or shrimp. shrimp about once a week or so and the flake food about every other day or every 3 days.

Old 07-12-2004, 06:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

So you got your LTA at Sea Dreams? That is like three minutes from my house. About a month ago, the manager of the store either quit or was let go, they are not clear as to the details. The owner just said that he was no longer with the company and that he wishes him luck. That usually means he was let go. Anyways, Todd the owner, said they were going to get a lot better selection of fish and keep the great selection of corals that they already had. He also told me they were dropping the prices of all of the livestock. You can get most corals now for under $100. I just got a huge torch coral for $79. It would have easily been $150-$200 with the other guy there. Todd just hired a new aquatics tech named Jason from Arizona. He seems knowlegable and as long as the corals and fish keep looking spectacular I will continue to go there and suggest them to others. How was your experience buying the LTA? Sorry it is a little off topic. Lando

Old 07-12-2004, 06:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, forgot to mention...checked out your gallery and your tank looks great! Something to proud of! Lando
Old 07-12-2004, 08:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
thank you. but the live stock still look just as good. and the person who helped me was VERY helpful. she married to pat. i dont know her name but when i got it the 2 clown fish did not want to leave it and they even stayed in it when the thing was out of the water. she asked me to call her and tell her how it looked when i got it in. very nice people.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:43 AM   #15
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarOrks15
i was reading on all of the sites that you need to feed it about 1-2x times a week. the lfs also feed them. i feed the fish and other things in the tank flake food or shrimp. shrimp about once a week or so and the flake food about every other day or every 3 days.
I am very aware of the recommendations that people convey concerning anemone care and few (if any) of those actually keep them. They simpley pass on what they've heard. The circumstances for directly feeding an anemone greatly depends on it's environment and general feedings that take place within the aquarium. Very few anemone's actually require it or benefit from it save non-zooxanthellae producing species, BTA's for cloning purposes and when recuperating from a bleaching episode. I can only relay to you my personal experience with keeping them and I can assure you, they don't need it.

I leave the choice to you

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-13-2004, 10:14 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve, when you say they don't need it.. do you mean to get-by or to thrive? Would there be any detrimental effect from feeding?

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 11:12 AM   #17
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari
Steve, when you say they don't need it.. do you mean to get-by or to thrive?
To thrive. I have never believed in the "get by" way of doing things. Any animal we care for should be given optimal conditions to prosper, not minimal.
Lets be clear though, wether or not to suppliment the feeding definately depends on the overall circumstances of the tank and how much is generally fed. Each set up being different, there will always be variances.

Quote:
Would there be any detrimental effect from feeding?
Definately. Anemones store a fair amount of energy reserves in their tissues. When feeding solid foods too often or in large amounts the anemone uses up a good portion of those stored energies as it must process the food and then expell the wastes. It is when expelling these wastes that the anemone can burn up a great amount of the stored energy especially when done on a continual basis. When the anemone shrinks into nothing to expell the waste and the recoveres to it's original glory many assume this to be a normal happening and nothing to be concerned about. In fact this is increadibley stressful to the animal and often contributes to their downfall and shortlived captive lives if on any kind of regular basis. They will often start to lose overall mass and begin slowly shrinking in size or worse never adapt to the constant food source and simpley give up. They should not need to go through this draining event frequently or unneccessarily.

Treat this part as purely speculative but if you consider that over 85% of their natural food source is from the zooxathellae in their tissues in which is converted to sugars, you are in effect changing their high carbohydrate food diet to that of a high protein diet. This too will have an effect on their overall health and what I believe also contributes to wasting and in some cases a quick death for those that cannot adapt.

I am by no means suggesting that an anemone should never have supplimental proteins but it should be minimal and what is given and in what frequencey should (if any) be balanced with what is fed for any fish that may also be in the system.

Thank for the opportunity to rant 8)

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-13-2004, 11:13 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

good info Steve. I am feeding my Rose BTA one chunk of froozen krill and one chunk of froozen mysis once a week. So it gets target fed twoice weekly, and I ussually soak the krill in garlic. This this a good schedule?
Old 07-13-2004, 11:29 AM   #19
steve-s

BTA's are a bit of an anomaly in this regard. Most seem to adapt but is typically seen by way of cloning. Instead of the expelling of wastes, the excess foods are used in reproduction which I find is unique to this species. I would still not suggest "going to town " in hopes of producing this affect but rather a slow build of nutrient to see where a comfortable ground would be. They are not what you would consider a typical light pig as most host species would be. This would suggest that supplimental feeding may play a larger role but is not true of other host species.

Keep in mind that BTA's not only clone when food supply is abundant but also as a means of survival when under constant stress. The key is recognizing the difference.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com