Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2004, 02:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
final adding to the the tank

ok so the tank has been up for 7 months now and i would like to add some more stuff. i right now have some corals and a yellow watchman goby, 1 clown fish percula and 3 chromes, and a cleaner shrimp. well i would like to get one more cleaner shrimp and 2 more chromes (so they school) and i would like to get a pistal shrimp. a colorful one something for the yellow watchman. would this all be too much a 46 gal tank? oh i would also add a rose bud to the tank. but this would after i get the 4x 96 watt bulbs on the tank. what do you think? would this be too much for the tank. and would they fight?

Old 07-11-2004, 03:05 PM   #2
steve-s

The cleaner shrimp or pistol will not add anything to the bioload and will not be a concern. The only concern is to be sure the other shrimp are larger than the pistol as they can prey on smaller crustaceans at times (rarely).

You could get 2 more chromis but that'd be about it for the fish load. You may also wish to consider a mate for the perc as an althernate. Clowns in general live much longer healthier lives if kept in mated pairs as apposed to solo.

As far as the BTA, you may have to much light once you upgrade to include the additional 2x96w. Contrary to popular belief, BTA's are not intense light anemones. With the amount of LR you have it should find a decent spot easily enough depending on your aquascaping where it can hide and extend outward as needed. If your water parameters have been stable for several months, you may be fine with the addition. If there has been anything amiss recently I would hold off a few more months. Just be sure you try and get a clone if possible, nothing wild caught.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-12-2004, 02:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok so i went to the lfs today. and i was looking for the bta and i did not find one. but i did find a very good looking lon tentical. i took a pic just before i went to work and he had been in the tnak for about 30 min so he dose not look the best but i think he has good color. will my light be too strong for him too? after the 4x 96 watt pc?

why am i getting a message that i ahve reached my upload quota of 2 mb? how do i get past that?
Old 07-12-2004, 02:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok so i found out what i need to do to do more uploads to the site. i will give the site some money. but until then i have put it in the pic. here is the link to the pic.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photop...cat=500&page=1
dose he look like he is doing well? he was only $75 and i think he look very healthy.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey WarOaks...Just FYI. I was in A Wet Pet in Apple Valley two days ago and they had a couple really nice Rose BTA for sale. Not sure what the price was. When I bought mine some time ago it was $65.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:09 PM   #6
steve-s

Hard to be definitive about the health of an anemone without seeing more detailed pics but I did not see anything in the pic you posted to suggest it's unhealthy.

That said though, if you wish to forgo the BTA for a different species I would suggest waiting a few more months. The lighting would be fine for an LTA but they are as a rule much harder to care for and always WC.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-12-2004, 04:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

you you are saying that the lta likes the bright light? and the 4x 96 watt will be good for him? i dont think i will have both the bta and the lta at this time. i think i will only stik with one for now. and i was reading up on them and i found that they like to be in the sand. is that right? i started him on the rock and he has worked his way down to a ph but ont worrie i have a sponge on the intake of it. and he has been sitting there for about 12 hours or more. i think he likes it. but i dont. it is on the back side of my rock and i cant see him. but i did get a look at him a little bit ago and his mouth looks like it is closed and that is a good sign. he is fully inflated and looks to be doing well. so far.

lando i have been to wet pet many time in the past weeks and never really saw any rba.
i think that they must have just gotten them in. i like this one and i am happy with him. but thanks for the ehads up. i got him at the place in savage. he was very cheap (only $75) and i know there corals start at like 100 so it was a good deal. and there stuff is always in realy good health
Old 07-12-2004, 05:59 PM   #8
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarOrks15
and i was reading up on them and i found that they like to be in the sand. is that right? i started him on the rock and he has worked his way down to a ph but ont worrie i have a sponge on the intake of it. and he has been sitting there for about 12 hours or more. i think he likes it. but i dont. it is on the back side of my rock and i cant see him. but i did get a look at him a little bit ago and his mouth looks like it is closed and that is a good sign. he is fully inflated and looks to be doing well. so far.
Sounds to me like you already bought the LTA. Yes they will inhabit the sand moreso than the higher rocks due to the fact they like to bury their foot. Typically they will either place the foot deep into a rock crevace or dig into the substrate where the sand and rock meet.

4x96w will support the LTA just fine but the 2x96w is a bit iffy depending on where it ends up. Sometimes unfortunately we don't like their prefered homes once they find their "happy spot" but there's not much you can or should do about it. If you move the anemone, chances are you could damage it or it will simpley return to that spot later. They choose them for a reason, water flow and light intensity primarily.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-12-2004, 06:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

well i just gave the lta a sliver side. it was about 3 in long and he ate it all. it took him some time to put ti in his mouth but he ate it.

is there any way to get him off the rock he is one and put in on the floor? he is in the back side of the tank. i can see him very well becasue that side is right up to the wall. and i cant just move the rock because the rock he is on is big.

lando i did go to a wet pet and look at all of there rba. the few i saw were really small and i wanted some bigger. but thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:10 PM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarOrks15
well i just gave the lta a sliver side. it was about 3 in long and he ate it all. it took him some time to put ti in his mouth but he ate it.
Just because they have a mouth does not mean they need to be fed. If you feed the tank for fish on a regular basis, I would forgo any future feedings or at the most feed only 1-2x a month with small portions.

Quote:
is there any way to get him off the rock he is one and put in on the floor? he is in the back side of the tank. i can see him very well becasue that side is right up to the wall. and i cant just move the rock because the rock he is on is big.
Not without causing possible damage or stress to the anemone. About the only thing I would attempt is a low flow powerhead pointed at the base of it's foot. It may irritate it enough to move but there is also a high possibility it could cause a good deal of stress or force it to move to an even more undesirable location. Personally I would suggest you leave it be.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com