Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #101
AA Team Emeritus

A pair of CB shrimp will kill most other ornamental shrimp in the tank. A single one may or may not. So take the chance or not. I had a pair and had to remove them so I could put some peppermints and a cleaner back in the tank.

The Kaudern's Cardinalfish should be a mated pair. I've heard of putting a large group in a tank, but most of those would be female with a single male. They want lots of cave and hiding places in the rock, so some re-arrangement with your new LR would be good.

I love that you finally got some real LR with life on it. Watching what shows up seemingly overnight the first year is quite amazing.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bubbles and vibration in your overflow pipe is from sucking air and churning as it goes down and slams into your sump. Thats why I recommended looking up that "hurbies ultra silent overflow". It may not be directly related to what you want but there are concepts to it that may get you thinking along the right path to solving your problem.

You may make some sort of stand pipe that attaches to your bulkhead, like a "t" or something. That may help you get the water down to your sump in a more efficient manner. That may help the bubbling and churning noise in the sump.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #103
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i don't think you are going to not get bubbles after water falls a couple feet mixed with air. use a filter sock if you don't like it. I don't see anything wrong with it.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:46 AM   #104
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The herbie method creates a full siphon in the main pipe(eliminating air) and does eliminate bubbles, the water is controlled with a valve and matched to the pump, therefore not crashing down the pipe. The second pipe should have minimal water sliding down it, sticking to the side of the pipe, so there will be some bubbles.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #105
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm just commenting on the bubble thing, not the Herbie method.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #106
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Makin progress! Ammonia went from 2ppm pre-rock to 0ppm now, and that's with about the equivalent of 1.5 shrimp left (from 3). Looks like seeding with the cured LR was the way to go.

I'm wondering if my powerheads might be too much for my system. When both are on, the feather dusters go back in their tubes. With only one on, they are open, and there doesn't seem to be any dead spots. Would one 1025gph powerhead be sufficient? Seems like everyone suggested that both would be about right. Ultimate plans are for some zoas, palys, and acros.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #107
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
Makin progress! Ammonia went from 2ppm pre-rock to 0ppm now, and that's with about the equivalent of 1.5 shrimp left (from 3). Looks like seeding with the cured LR was the way to go.

I'm wondering if my powerheads might be too much for my system. When both are on, the feather dusters go back in their tubes. With only one on, they are open, and there doesn't seem to be any dead spots. Would one 1025gph powerhead be sufficient? Seems like everyone suggested that both would be about right. Ultimate plans are for some zoas, palys, and acros.
Good to hear you're making progress. And wow that's alot of flow. I'd return one of them and get a koralia 550 instead
Old 12-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #108
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Well, they weren't exactly a purchase... but a trade. I could sell them, or trade them for some 750's... or an MP10?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:49 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice Addict

i think that's good flow for acropora, but not dusters, palys, and other soft stuff.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #110
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
Well, they weren't exactly a purchase... but a trade. I could sell them, or trade them for some 750's... or an MP10?
Yeah I think an mp10 would be great. But a 750 will also do

Tags
breed, breeder, build, build thread, journal, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com