Finally - 40 Breeder Reef Journal/Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just picked up a pink spotted watchman goby. The woman I got it from couldn't keep it. It got too big for her tank (small footprint), and her trigger didn't like it too well in her bigger tank. It's such a beautiful fish, can't wait until it gets settled in.

You know we don't believe you till you post the PICTURES! ;)

Congrats on the pickup. Now wait 3 weeks till your next fish, no matter how desperate it is for a new home. :fish2:

Yeah, that's my plan. I waited 10 days from my first fish to my second fish, and ammonia and nitrite are still 0, nitrate just barely readable. I think my next fish will be a firefish. I'm still going back and forth with the wife on regular firefish vs purple firefish.

PURPLE (it's the new Pink according to one of my nieces). Do you have a net cover for your tank? They are jumpers.

Not yet, but I plan to get one. LA says that the goby is known to jump as well, so I plan to get one soon. My only concern is how I'll rig it up around my return line. I didn't drill (though my next tank most certainly will have a drilled return), so it's just 2 elbows to go up and over the tank lip. Any ideas on how to do this? I may order the stuff from BRS tonight.

I was just going to say that BRS has the netting and all you need. When we were fist discussing it here a couple of years ago I got samples from the company. You had to buy a roll of netting. Not all that expensive (~$50), but who needs that much netting when you can just what you need.

I just got my MP10 set up. Man, I'm already in love with it. I have no idea what setting it's on, it's just going up and down in speed... such an awesome little machine. I may get a small powerhead to put opposite it, or may not. I guess my needs will become apparent as I move along. Gotta order some GAC and wait to set up the reactor now. This tank is coming together nicely, IMO at least.

Here is a terrible video. he's so shy, he won't come out when I walk in front of the tank, so I had to stand behind a door and sneak and get it. needless to say, the door wasnt' very close to the tank.

I like the rock. Nice and porous looking. The fish will get cozy in their own time. As soon as they realize you walking up to the tank means it's time to eat.

Here is a terrible video. he's so shy, he won't come out when I walk in front of the tank, so I had to stand behind a door and sneak and get it. needless to say, the door wasnt' very close to the tank.

Very nice! The tank and the rock look great! (y)

Here's my score from today. $30 for one green, one red millepora, two green bay packers zoa frags, and a chunk of orange monti. I'm really happy. These were just test pieces to see how things work out. They all opened within minutes of getting put in the tank. I left the zoas on plugs so that I could move them easily if neded. I couldn't put the plugs where I wanted to place the millepora frags, so I just glued them to the rock.

Yeah, that's my plan. I waited 10 days from my first fish to my second fish, and ammonia and nitrite are still 0, nitrate just barely readable. I think my next fish will be a firefish. I'm still going back and forth with the wife on regular firefish vs purple firefish.

Agree with the purple, although they don't seem to be quite as hardy as the regular. Sending you a link on a building a mesh top as well via PM.

Awesome, thanks for the link.

How about some help identifying this stuff? It just came up all of a sudden the other day. I removed most of it with a mag float, thinking that might have been a bad move now. It doesn't look like any hair algae I've seen, it's almost like feather duster sized whatevers, not like hair. It's everywhere, glass, rock, magfloat. Sigh.

Looks like one of the pain in the rear green algae types - do you have any hermit crabs in your tank? Sometimes they help control this type.

Back
Top Bottom