Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #111
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i don't think a MP10 will be enough. I think you'll be disappointed.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #112
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

That's interesting. I don't like the price tag, but they seem to be what EVERYONE wants. What I have now are two Tunze 6045's. Originally, I had read 1025GPH, but now I'm seeing 1188gph... so it's somewhere in that area. Is one sufficient? Is it possible to mix zoas, palys, and acros in a small tank like this with their different flow requirements?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #113
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
it's possible, but you have to position them just right. i had some 40 breeders set up a while back and i had four 750 gph power heads in one, and i was disappointed with the flow. i would use a single mp40 if i was going with a vortech (if we're talking acropora)
Old 12-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #114
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Maybe I should dedicate this tank to only soft stuff and use my 29g for the stuff that likes the higher flow. And yes, I'm talking about acropora. I've also gotten to the point of liking some of the LPS. There's just so much to take in, I feel like the year I've spent thinking about this was only the tip of the iceberg in terms of knowledge to absorb.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 12-30-2011, 10:51 PM   #115
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
i don't think a MP10 will be enough. I think you'll be disappointed.
Really? I'd think 1500gph and 1025gph would be enough. But hey, you've got more experience than me.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:57 AM   #116
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I just did my tests this morning.

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 5ppm
pH - 8.2-8.3 (was between 8.2 and 8.4)

That's with the shrimp still rotting in my tank. I'd say if this holds through for a few more days, I'll be good to go... no?

Old 12-31-2011, 10:55 AM   #117
AA Team Emeritus

You look good now. I would remove the shrimp and do a 30% PWC now. Did you see the nitrites go up and down to 0 also, or were you just watching Ammonia?

From the numbers it would appear that NH3 and NO2 rose and dropped to 0 and NO3 rose. That's the cycle and you should be good to go.

Doug has given you valuable advice on the power heads and flow. Your idea to move the acro's to a different high flow tank is the right move. Hard to keep everything in one tank. I have placement problems in a 125 due to amount of flow. Even some Montipora Digitata's need to get moved because I have too much flow. I cut off two of my 4 PH's for now. So careful with what you get and make sure you know the high, medium and low flow areas in the tank.

I remember someone making a cheap flow meter from plastic drinking straws, a short piece of pvc, and some fishing line. He cut the straws into short sections and glued the line to the pvc and various lengths to the straws. He then placed the pvc in different areas of the tank and noted the flow.

Your tank is just about ready. Good Luck!
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #118
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Thanks! Yeah, I hadn't even bothered testing nitrite, since I wasn't expecting it to go this quick. I still want to give it a few more days to make sure I didn't test during some abnormal time during the cycle. If I stay at 0 on ammonia and nitrite over the next few days, I'll know I'm good. I'm most likely not going to be ordering any fish for the next week or two. Our weather is crazy here, 60's one day, 20's the next... so I'm wanting to wait until it's consistent.

I took a few more pictures of my tank today. I'm loving the lighting. I have 2x aquablue special, 1x blue plus, and 1x purple plus. It is, IMO, the perfect combination. The tank is not so blue that it looks unreal, but it's not so bright that it looks fake. I also made a little platform for my skimmer, as it was a bit too deep. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to rebuild it, since it's just a tad too high now. I might try my 3/4" PVC instead of the 1.5" underneath.

Thoughts?

Old 12-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #119
Aquarium Advice Freak

The lighting is awesome I wish I had a aquarium like that I'm jealous =]
Old 12-31-2011, 03:49 PM   #120
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think the tank looks great, nice aquascaping!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breed, breeder, build, build thread, journal, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com