Finally - 40 Breeder Reef Journal/Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have 3 hermits. How on earth can I have algae already? The lights have only been on for maybe 4 hours total since the tank was set up, until yesterday when I put them on the timer. Ugh lol. I thought spending all that money on an RO/DI unit was to help prevent such things, especially when nitrate is next to nothing, and my phosphates in the tap water are very low.

LOL. Welcome to reality!
Right now I have a turf type algae on my rock. It's only in the dark areas, void of light though. Weird stuff.

Yep, as Doug said - they seem to be able to trive under just about any condition we would expect them not to.

For what its worth, you have to remember that phosphates are the major issue here. Even when they show zero on many test kits, algae will still grow in a saltwater system, as evidenced by all the people who test out at zero phosphates, but grow macroalgae in their fuges. I'd pick off all of it you can manually. Be sure and turn your pumps off when you pick it so it doesn't get spread around. Staying ahead of the game is very important with these.

There's no way I can pick it off. The whole left side of the glass is covered, as well as probably 25% of the front and back. I'm thinking that I'm just going to cry and leave it at that.

Some nitrates and any phosphate = algae. I would hope that the chaeto would out compete it, but the stuff in the tank usually get the nutrients first.

What are you testing phosphate with?
If you don't have the Hanna meter, get one.

I need to get one. I'm going off what someone else tested locally with a Hanna checker. Would running GFO be a bad idea? The algae has tripled in size today. It almost looks like leafs now, they're really long and have lots of 'branches' coming off each stem.

GFO would be a good idea right now. How long has this tank been cycled?

If I recall, the tank is quite new and this is quite possibly the normal processes happening in a new tank. You just recently added fish which means adding food which means nutrients for algae. There are steps to follow to fight algae.

I think I'm going to completely tear the tank down this weekend. I've been planning a new stand that is taller, and more easily accessible.

Here's the plan:

42" tall stand. That'll get it up closer to viewing height, and give me more room underneath. Stand will also be about 8" wider, giving me more room to work.

two 20 longs. One as a refugium, elevated above the 20 long with the skimmer. Algae Turf Scrubber (maybe), macro algae, lots of rubble in the refugium. Just skimmer, heater(s), reactor pump(s) and return pump in the sump.

2x24w T5HO over the refugium.

While the tank is down, I plan on using a razor blade to remove the massive hair algae outbreak. The hermits are keeping it cleaned off mostly on the rocks, but obviously, they don't hold on to glass very well.

This gives me about 70 gallons total, a little more stability, lots more room for equipment, and more room to work under the stand.

The big if is whether I get up the nerve to work outside this weekend since I don't have a garage... freezing rain and snow predicted tomorrow haha.

It may... but i want my water perfect. A skimmer, ATS, and macro algae should work well for that from what I've read on other builds. Not sure I'm even going to do the ATS yet, just something I've been pondering.

it would be fun to play with. i myself havent worked up the motivation to do it yet. found all the bits and pieces in the stores though.

Here it is... no more bending over to look at the fish!

img_1756736_0_2fd1e4b042289c439c800094eaad2759.jpg

img_1756736_1_8ae4be7467bbc735e55efd28b1ddf4f9.jpg

img_1756736_2_8d04958ca2a06a4f8e4ebdd66de998c2.jpg

Gonna finish up tonight or tomorrow... probably tonight.

Sweet. Looks pretty tall. How high did you go? Im thinking about going 36". It also looks like you got room for a 40g sump too. Im probably going to do that too.

There would have been room for another 40b under there as a sump, but that wasn't in my plan. I'm just sticking with the 20 longs. It's right at 48" tall, so 64.25 or so to the top of the tank. I love it. Just got done putting rock, fish, and corals in... pics will be up soon. Still haven't gotten rid of the algae completely, but I'm hoping the 20g remote refugium will help with that some.

Cool. I was thinking 36 might be a little tall but I think I'll be really happy with it. Yours looks good. So I guess thats what that other stand is for. Your gonna have a refugium overflowing into your sump?

Yeah, the refugium will be on the right. I'll try and get a pic with the tank on there tomorrow, but it won't be set up until mid week because I don't have my bulkhead yet.

Here are the pics..... I've got everything kind of temporary right now until I get my sump hooked back in, but the scape is pretty much where I want it... I think.

img_1756857_0_0eebcb115461aa219e1866661ee32252.jpg

img_1756857_1_45c9b097dee494f67dbf1c6e8110cfce.jpg

img_1756857_2_f00ba5bb9289690b82c6962b16c940d0.jpg

img_1756857_3_f4e957d0a7a51679df64515254a4733f.jpg

img_1756857_4_72d92eb931d1998459d37d8dd2b41290.jpg

img_1756857_5_7c7f38c38ded932bbd080fcba2202e3b.jpg

Sweet. Looks pretty tall. How high did you go? Im thinking about going 36". It also looks like you got room for a 40g sump too. Im probably going to do that too.
mine is a custom 36" tall stand and a 40g breeder sump too. works well. i like how tall rookie went too.

Back
Top Bottom