Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #141
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I went against what I was originally going to do. I did a 15g water change this morning, then after testing again to confirm 0 on ammonia and nitrite, bit the bullet and got a cardinal and a peppermint shrimp. Nitrate is less than 5, but it's more than 0.

Skimmer also finally started working. The bubbles are white as they come in to the cup, but the cup is the color of pee. I'll try and find my video camera so someone can tell me if I have it dialed in right. I ran it wide open for a week and a half or so, as instructed by a guy who has used almost every skimmer possible, to break it in. Since I've never seen a skimmer in operation, other than the vids on youtube, I just don't know exactly how it's supposed to work. It's kind of 'puking' so to speak. The foam comes to the top of the neck, then a big air bubble lets loose and they drop back down an inch or so... then they eventually work themselves up in to the cup. It's just an up and down motion, no constant flow of foam.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #142
Fish R friends, not food!

No pictures = it didnt happen.......just sayin!

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #143
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Ahh, I will try. The cardinal is a little mad about being put in a bag and moved, so it's hiding behind all the rock. The pep is exploring the new habitat. I will get some just as soon as they cooperate.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 01-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #144
AA Team Emeritus

Ah reminds me of my project management class = ain't written, ain't said! Ain't signed, ain't written! So yes, PICTURES!

Sounds like the tank is coming along nicely. Your skimmer sound pretty dialed in. If the bubbles were a constant stream over the top you would have to empty the cup every day or more. It should take 4 - 7 days to get to the point you want to empty it, and that is with a decent feeding schedule.

Nitrates under 20 are good, 5 and under are right on for corals. It usually takes a while to get there.

Skimmate is a personal preference. Some like it wet like you have it now, some prefer it dark. I like the tea - strong tea color vs. coffee colored skimmate.

Now that you have your first livestock you will start feeding (overfeeding) the tank. That will give the skimmer something to work on. You may need to adjust it periodically as you build your livestock and adjust your feeding.

You'll get the hang of it over the next few months.

What kind of cardinal did you get?
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #145
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I got a kaudersn (aka bangaii). It's the one that really caught my eye at the beginning and I decided I had to have one (or more) if it was compatible. The guy I got it from said he usually either kept them solo, or in a group of 3-4. So... I'll do 3 if the stocking plan allows.

Here are some pretty terrible pics. The shrimp is nowhere to be found, I did spot 3 more brittle stars though. At least, that's what I'm calling them. Couldn't get any pics though. If i find my video camera, I can zoom in much closer.

And a sponge? that I discovered...

I set up a group buy for BRS for next week. I think I'll order their dual reactor and run carbon and GFO. Anyone got any reason for me not to? Are the benefits good enough to justify dropping another ~$100?

Old 01-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #146
Aquarium Advice Freak

How is ur evap going?? still not losing 15g a week i hope??
Old 01-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #147
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I got my ATO finished yesterday. I filled a 10g tank to the trim and it's down about an inch... in just about 24 hours.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #148
Aquarium Advice Freak

still losing about 2 gallons a day though?? Im trying to figure out if i should cover mine or not. I might cover mine up 2/3 of the way if anything. My tank is in my room (with a walk in/open closset), so i do not want 2gallons of water evaporate everyday
Old 01-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #149
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Well, an inch of a 10g tank is less than a gallon... I think maybe the evap was being furthered because I wasn't topping off until I had to to prevent the pump from sucking air, which caused the water to fall about 4" to the return chamber... now that I'm keeping it about 1" below the baffle, it doesn't seem to be evaporating nearly as much.

Here are two videos of the cardinal. I have a couple ID vids, and one of my skimmer uploading now.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #150
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Exciting! Thanks for sharing the vids.

Sounds to me like the evaporation issue is under control now. Also glad to see those moonlights getting a second life .

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breed, breeder, build, build thread, journal, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com