Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #151
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Yeah, they kind of curled up when I peeled them off the old fixture, but they were no match for the super glue

Here are two ID vids. One I think is a tube worm. The other, I can't tell. I want them to be some sort of polyps, but the fact that they all come up individually from the rock leads me to think majano or aiptasia. I can't see them clearly enough to tell yet.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #152
AA Team Emeritus

Very nice. The shrimp is probably hanging upside down under one of the rocks. You may see it at feeding time. You may also see a molt in the tank in the next few days. They often do that after getting into a new tank and scare the owner into thinking they died.

I have the dual BRS reactors for GFO/GAC. Wish I had gone with 2 single units. The need replacing at different intervals, though I may just leave the GAC in till the GFO is exhausted. Not sure you need this yet on a new tank.

Do you have the Hanna handheld PO4 meter? Don't bother with GFO till you test for phosphates and know you have them. The Hanna meter at ~$50 can't be beat for accuracy, especially when you are talking about <1 ppm numbers.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #153
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I don't have the tester. I hadn't really even thought of testing it, just figured since everyone seems to sing praises about GFO, it was a worthwhile preventative. I know I want to run GAC for sure. I saw their video where they said that GAC would get clogged and require a little tinkering with the flow every now and then, hadn't thought about it needing replaced sooner. Perhaps 2 single units (one for GAC now, another for GFO if needed later) would be better. Just more cords to deal with haha.

Any thoughts on the unknown things in the second vid? Perhaps if they are bad, the pep will eat them? I know they say it's hit or miss with them.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 01-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #154
AA Team Emeritus

Tube worm without a crown is my guess on the first. I don't think those are pest anemone's but hard for me to tell from the video. If you see the peppermint shrimp munching on them they are probably aiptasia.

The skimmer looks good, maybe a bit too high in the column, hence the wet skimming you are seeing. You really don't have much in the tank for the skimmer to work on yet.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #155
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very nice Bangaii! Very cool fish!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #156
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
Tube worm without a crown is my guess on the first. I don't think those are pest anemone's but hard for me to tell from the video. If you see the peppermint shrimp munching on them they are probably aiptasia.

The skimmer looks good, maybe a bit too high in the column, hence the wet skimming you are seeing. You really don't have much in the tank for the skimmer to work on yet.

That's what I was thinking. Didn't know whether the rotting shrimp would have put anything in the water to be skimmed out or not. I'll lower it down a bit and see what happens. Guess it may take a week or two to get any real skimmate.

The shrimp finally made himself visible...

Old 01-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #157
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

What are your alls opinions on clowns? I've been looking and saw some pink skunk clowns that I really like. Compared to the black ocellaris clowns, what would be the difference in terms of care? Also, would they behave any differently towards tankmates? I can't find any info that says they should be avoided.. lots of things saying no to tomato clowns though.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #158
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
What are your alls opinions on clowns? I've been looking and saw some pink skunk clowns that I really like. Compared to the black ocellaris clowns, what would be the difference in terms of care? Also, would they behave any differently towards tankmates? I can't find any info that says they should be avoided.. lots of things saying no to tomato clowns though.
I don't think there are really any differences in terms of care, and I think they are pretty peaceful. I think you should go for them, you don't see them that often.
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #159
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
Clowns are cool... I like false perculas best...
maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #160
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellag

Clowns are cool... I like false perculas best...
Black iceeeeeeeee..... Mah fav

Tags
breed, breeder, build, build thread, journal, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com