Finally - 40 Breeder Reef Journal/Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh well I'm sure the rk4 isn't that heavy duty either. That was the first thing I noticed. It's kinda light and cheaply made. Don't get me wrong I love it, but it's definitely not industrial.

I need to re-read through the specs, but I do believe it'll handle quite a load. I know one module will run a 1/2 hp chiller, and a guy I visited the other day had a mag24 on one, with all 3 other outlets used as well. Definitely going to check that out though.

Here's a video from today after cleaning the glass... again, not high quality at all-

I need to re-read through the specs, but I do believe it'll handle quite a load. I know one module will run a 1/2 hp chiller, and a guy I visited the other day had a mag24 on one, with all 3 other outlets used as well. Definitely going to check that out though.

Here's a video from today after cleaning the glass... again, not high quality at all-

Cool video, I like the Peppermint! Mine is rarely ever visable, lol.

I think I like my new scape best, because it does have a lot of places to place corals. With the old scape, it was basically flat up against the back. Now it comes down and forward, so there is probably twice as much area to cover. I fully plan to utilize every square inch available.

On a note about the controller. I think I've decided against it. After really thinking about it, I don't *need* it. Granted, I don't need a lot of the stuff I buy, but $350, plus the modules I'd be getting (make that closer to $600+) is just too much for a fancy 'toy'.

I am still getting the Nova Extreme Pro, as I really want mostly SPS. I think I'll put that other $350 towards a macro lens for my camera that I ordered last night. It sucks not being able to take decent pictures, and I'm really interested in taking macro shots of various things, so it will be a wise investment. Sucky part is that the lens costs more ($1100 or so) than the camera body ($650).

OK, big decision here. Do I want 6x39w T5HO for $300, or do I want 4x39w T5HO and 2x150w MH for $235? More light, less money... but not the quality name of Current... or Less light, more money, proven, dependable fixture? I think that the MH fixture would open me up to keep pretty much any photosynthetic creature I want, but that's just a guess. It is about twice as much light.

Based on the height of your tank, I believe you will find the t5s more than adequate to keep anything you want. Like you and I discussed, if you go MH, I'd bet you could only run them a couple hours a day without bleaching things out. We'll see what others thoughts are.

I appreciate your input... and please don't take this like I'm somehow disputing your advice at all... but I've found that for everything in this hobby, particularly lighting, there are literally thousands of opinions that conflict each other. It's so hard to make heads or tails of any of it.

I'd rather go with the 6x HO fixture, even though it is more expensive, as it'll be cheaper to run and no expensive MH bulbs to replace. I do, however, want to be able to grow any coral I want, particularly SPS. I guess I'm all about overkill,but I definitely don't want to bleach my corals. It seems that for every person that says one thing, there are two others that say different. I'm curious about other opinions as well, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with my gut instinct and stick with my initial plan of the 6x HO fixture.

Ahhh... sucks being new to this side of the hobby haha.

I think you'll be able to grow anything under the t5s. My lfs keeps all their frags under under t5s. Granted their just frags so their not really "growing" them, and their not necessarily keep them long, but they look good and healthy. And their fixtures are like two feet over the tank.

Build your own LED fixture. They are the best. You can do whatever color temp you want without replacing bulbs. They save tons of energy and have better growth than anything else out there! For about $400 you can make a fixture that will do anything and more than MH and T5 combined.

I appreciate your input... and please don't take this like I'm somehow disputing your advice at all... but I've found that for everything in this hobby, particularly lighting, there are literally thousands of opinions that conflict each other. It's so hard to make heads or tails of any of it.

I'd rather go with the 6x HO fixture, even though it is more expensive, as it'll be cheaper to run and no expensive MH bulbs to replace. I do, however, want to be able to grow any coral I want, particularly SPS. I guess I'm all about overkill,but I definitely don't want to bleach my corals. It seems that for every person that says one thing, there are two others that say different. I'm curious about other opinions as well, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with my gut instinct and stick with my initial plan of the 6x HO fixture.

Ahhh... sucks being new to this side of the hobby haha.

Don't worry, not taking it that way at all. I understand all about getting more opinions and everyone telling you something different. Just wanted to rethrow mine out there ;), since we didn't talk about the bleaching factor.

Freshnoob1 said:
Build your own LED fixture. They are the best. You can do whatever color temp you want without replacing bulbs. They save tons of energy and have better growth than anything else out there! For about $400 you can make a fixture that will do anything and more than MH and T5 combined.

Building one would definitely be cheaper and good lighting. But the awesome thing about the good led fixtures (the only two I really know off hand are the sol and radion) are the controllers. Being able to change the colors whenever (Christmas, Halloween, Mardi Gras, Fourth of July, Easter themes), dusk, dawn, thunderstorms, etc, etc. That's what's up. That's y I'm just gonna sit on a relatively cheap t-5 for a couple years and wait for prices to drop.

T5's will be fine, but LED is the way to go <g>. No bulbs to replace, just get a new one in 10 years. A 120w is 400w MH equivalent.

BTW, for great pics, go to B&H and get a Panasonic Lumix DMC-T53 or the Nikon Coolpix AW100 Waterproof Digital Camera (Black)

I got the Panasonic and love it. The fish tend to scatter, but for coral close-ups it can't be beat.

Not yet Doug, but now that you mention it, maybe this weekend. Then you can help me diagnose a problem area ;)

Back
Top Bottom