Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #171
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

That's what I had on my original list. I like the pink skunks, but the black ocellaris are really pretty fish.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #172
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
That's what I had on my original list. I like the pink skunks, but the black ocellaris are really pretty fish.
If you have the cash to spend get an ORA clown. I've gotten bored of my Occelaris clowns since I see them everywhere

Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #173
AA Team Emeritus

Glad to hear you decided to spin the dice and add some real LR, definitely cool to see all the additional life popping up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
I think I've heard of gold or yellow coral banded shrimp being non aggressive so maybe those would be an option?
The gold coral-bandeds are harder to find, but are definitely less aggressive than the regular. Still hard on other shrimp species however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch View Post
I think you should get as many banggai cardinals as you can. They are really interesting and striking beautiful fish.
Most I know who have tried these, usually end up with only a single one after a few months. I know several who have tried and none who have kept groups successfully long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpeyton View Post
If you are interested in wrasses, the six line wrasse is a really neat fish that would be fine in a 40 breeder. Just a thought!
Six lines generally get pretty territorial, but do do a good job of keeping some pest species under control. Personally I'd go with a single flasher male of some sort.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #174
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I'm going to look in to the various wrasse's. I still have a lot of deciding to do.

Here's my skimmer tonight. Looks like it's making some thicker skimmate now...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 01-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #175
AA Team Emeritus

Looking good on that skimmer.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #176
AA Team Emeritus

Skimmer does look good.

Other than the lined variety, I have yet to keep a wrasse that I haven't enjoyed. There are so many different varieties out there. The flashers and fairy wrasses are great, but flasher do require a mesh top. The yellow coris or green wrasse are also good choices.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Old 01-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #177
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I saw a beautiful fairy wrasse today. It seems that LA recommends a 75g for most. Is that justified, or just overly conservative?

Old 01-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #178
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
They cruise in and out of the rock scape. I wouldn't consider them open water swimmers for the most part. I don't see why you couldn't do a whipfin or similar in a 40b (with a tight fitting lid).
Old 01-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #179
AA Team Emeritus

I would say it would depend on the individual species, certainly some of them would be fine in a 40gal breeder, as Doug pointed out. I would think that you might want to research individually, as there may be some justification for the larger recommended tank sizes. IME, it seems that most recommendations seem to error more towards smaller tanks (i.e. saying you can keep them successfully in smaller tanks than you typically can), so I would be a bit more thorough in my research. I can tell you that I have successfully kept individuals in a 65, which has the same foot print as your 40b. Just for my own information, what is LA? I generally use SWF for my saltwater recommendations.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #180
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Live aquaria. They usually have pretty good recommendations. I'll look in to them. I'm not 100% set on one, just looking at my options. I rescaped the tank... again. I like it every time I do it, but I think I may have found my favorite so far. Probably not a typical scape, but then again, who wants typical?

Tags
breed, breeder, build, build thread, journal, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com