Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2012, 01:09 AM   #201
Aquarium Advice Addict

from my understanding, its not water volume but square inches that make the refugium beneficial. i think you have plenty of rock in the dt. 50+ lbs. if you want more volume you can increase total working volume of the whole sump.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:24 AM   #202
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
a larger compartment would be better, but i don't see how you are freeing up space by moving it to one side. It's still the same tank. just make the return area just large enough to get a return pump in there and use an ATO.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:27 AM   #203
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Well, I can't keep the water level too high, or else I can't raise the skimmer up high enough because of the tank above it. With the refugium on the right, I can have it almost as tall as the sump, since it will be overflowing in to the return area as well. But, if it's not going to be of much benefit, I'll not waste my time on it. The sump I've got is working fine, I just thought that having a larger refugium would be more beneficial.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #204
Aquarium Advice Addict

like mr_X said, larger yes. taller ehhh
Old 01-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #205
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch
like mr_X said, larger yes. taller ehhh
Hmmm....... But it would allow more space for him to grow macro
Old 01-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #206
Fish R friends, not food!

Am I missing something obvious? If you have the refugium on the right, wont that just be dead water? There will be no flow through it, will there? Seems like water would come into the left, overflow to the center then get pumped back to the DT without ever hitting the fuge area. If you split the overflow from the tank, it would have to get all the way to the top to overflow into the center section. I dont see how you could do this without splitting the overflow from the DT. If you didnt have the overflow from the tank going into the fuge area water from the tank would get pumped back up to the DT without getting over the last baffle.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #207
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Yeah, either the overflow or return would have to be split to feed the fuge. I'm probably just going to stick with what I have for now. The benefit of re-doing the sump doesn't seem to outweigh tearing down the whole tank to do it.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 01-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #208
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
Am I missing something obvious? If you have the refugium on the right, wont that just be dead water? There will be no flow through it, will there? Seems like water would come into the left, overflow to the center then get pumped back to the DT without ever hitting the fuge area. If you split the overflow from the tank, it would have to get all the way to the top to overflow into the center section. I dont see how you could do this without splitting the overflow from the DT. If you didnt have the overflow from the tank going into the fuge area water from the tank would get pumped back up to the DT without getting over the last baffle.

a "t" off the return pump with a valve.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #209
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I just bought an MP10 and a GFO/GAC reactor (to be used with GAC). Now to patiently wait on it to come in!

Old 01-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #210
AA Team Emeritus

Nice! Like the new arrangement on the rock alot. I think you'll really enjoy that MP10 - congrates on the pick-up.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breed, breeder, build, build thread, journal, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com