Finally - 40 Breeder Reef Journal/Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Much too organized. I'll have to take trip just to mess things up a bit.

Jon, tank looks great. I'll hold on my old habit of saying you need twice as much LR in there. Oops, did I type that in public? :lol:

Nice tank and great pics! The 100 macro is a great lens. I had the 50 but don't know what happened to it. I use some extension tubes on my lenses. I posted a picture of a hitchhiker crab to another blog and people thought the 2mm crab was more like 2 cm. macro is fun stuff. Keep up the nice work (on both the tank and photography). I've got the same problem. Both are expensive hobbies!

:brows::popcorn:That's a pretty awesome tank! I'm impressed... How much did that cost? I bet it was more than an arm and a leg!

I meant to add two things. I have worked out a trade with a guy for a new RO/DI unit. This will allow me to put the unit upstairs, as it has a booster pump with it. It's a Vertex Puratek 100 GPD unit. This is good news... as long as the trade goes through as planned.

I also found out why it is important to have dual float switches for the ATO. Last night, I noticed that my sump level was about 3/4" higher than normal. I looked, and my primary switch has failed. I suppose that's my fault, as it's been running for almost 3 months now without cleaning... but a good reminder that redundancy in an aquarium like this is very very very important.

Learning the hard way! Nothing better. I try to check and clean my float switch at each PWC. It's part of my normal routine now. I have a checklist I follow for each of my maintenance schedules

Learning the hard way! Nothing better. I try to check and clean my float switch at each PWC. It's part of my normal routine now. I have a checklist I follow for each of my maintenance schedules

That is some of the best advice you can get right there!

Checklist... check. Will add that to my list of things to do. Hopefully, I won't forget it and lose the check list.

In case you haven't seen, this tank is going to be a thing of the past at some point in the (hopefully) near future. I found a 72 bf that I just couldn't pass up.

Well, while I was over getting the tank, the guy mentioned that he had some clowns. I stewed over it for a couple hours, then decided to get them. He also tossed in some nerite and cerinth snails. They're acclimating now, but hopefully I can get some good pics of them later.

They're false perculas... I think.

Out of the 60 pictures I took, these were the only 3 in focus. I took the 'spray and pray' method and just held the shutter down and focused as I went.. guess I need to refine that technique.

img_1835617_0_80b1756e24fb4346be7e59b9e4027432.jpg

img_1835617_1_cc3faadc323e2c958dca343fb54333c0.jpg

img_1835617_2_dbc14271a29feca65362e917d692be6a.jpg

Yep, those are false. Amphiprion perculal (true percs) have a broader black stripe and one less (10) dorsal spine than the Amphiprion ocellaris (false clown).

Here's my A. percula

Attachments

• Clowns2.jpg
    Clowns2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 116
It may seem like I'm beating a dead horse here... but I've got some more pics of the same old stuff. It is cool though, because even over the past few weeks, I've seen a lot of new growth... and it's all documented here for me to look back on some day and laugh.

img_1839314_0_804a44db75a84801df1370fa121e37ef.jpg

img_1839314_1_e371674fb79e4a7f750c6dfa52d3e0cb.jpg

img_1839314_2_8817307bf7f7ba5f33ac80fed423af11.jpg

img_1839314_3_fa8d572bfae6ba25c65c79d92911415b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom