Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #241
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I have 3 hermits. How on earth can I have algae already? The lights have only been on for maybe 4 hours total since the tank was set up, until yesterday when I put them on the timer. Ugh lol. I thought spending all that money on an RO/DI unit was to help prevent such things, especially when nitrate is next to nothing, and my phosphates in the tap water are very low.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #242
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
LOL. Welcome to reality!
Right now I have a turf type algae on my rock. It's only in the dark areas, void of light though. Weird stuff.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #243
AA Team Emeritus

Yep, as Doug said - they seem to be able to trive under just about any condition we would expect them not to.

For what its worth, you have to remember that phosphates are the major issue here. Even when they show zero on many test kits, algae will still grow in a saltwater system, as evidenced by all the people who test out at zero phosphates, but grow macroalgae in their fuges. I'd pick off all of it you can manually. Be sure and turn your pumps off when you pick it so it doesn't get spread around. Staying ahead of the game is very important with these.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #244
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

There's no way I can pick it off. The whole left side of the glass is covered, as well as probably 25% of the front and back. I'm thinking that I'm just going to cry and leave it at that.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 01-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #245
Aquarium Advice Addict

Old 01-17-2012, 04:50 AM   #246
Aquarium Advice Freak

Guess even the best of us get algae at some point good luck
Old 01-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #247
AA Team Emeritus

Some nitrates and any phosphate = algae. I would hope that the chaeto would out compete it, but the stuff in the tank usually get the nutrients first.

What are you testing phosphate with?
If you don't have the Hanna meter, get one.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:45 PM   #248
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I need to get one. I'm going off what someone else tested locally with a Hanna checker. Would running GFO be a bad idea? The algae has tripled in size today. It almost looks like leafs now, they're really long and have lots of 'branches' coming off each stem.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #249
AA Team Emeritus

GFO would be a good idea right now. How long has this tank been cycled?

If I recall, the tank is quite new and this is quite possibly the normal processes happening in a new tank. You just recently added fish which means adding food which means nutrients for algae. There are steps to follow to fight algae.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #250
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I think I'm going to completely tear the tank down this weekend. I've been planning a new stand that is taller, and more easily accessible.

Here's the plan:

42" tall stand. That'll get it up closer to viewing height, and give me more room underneath. Stand will also be about 8" wider, giving me more room to work.

two 20 longs. One as a refugium, elevated above the 20 long with the skimmer. Algae Turf Scrubber (maybe), macro algae, lots of rubble in the refugium. Just skimmer, heater(s), reactor pump(s) and return pump in the sump.

2x24w T5HO over the refugium.

While the tank is down, I plan on using a razor blade to remove the massive hair algae outbreak. The hermits are keeping it cleaned off mostly on the rocks, but obviously, they don't hold on to glass very well.

This gives me about 70 gallons total, a little more stability, lots more room for equipment, and more room to work under the stand.

The big if is whether I get up the nerve to work outside this weekend since I don't have a garage... freezing rain and snow predicted tomorrow haha.

Tags
breed, breeder, build, build thread, journal, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com