Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #311
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The rkl only has a 4 module limit. :-( the elite has I believe 63

Old 01-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #312
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Ok, then an RKL isn't even an option. I need 12 plugs.

-Skimmer
-Return
-ATO pump
-Reactor Pump

-Lights
-Lights
-Moonlights
-Refugium Light

-MP10
-ATO Reservoir Powerhead
-Mixing Tank Powerhead
-Stand Light

I also plan to have the salinity probe, and I've been considering putting a float switch in my ATO reservoir to light up an indicator light when it gets to a certain point to remind me to top it off. Since I'll be running dual float switches in my sump, I'll need one module for that, then another module for the reservoir switch. That would mean another PC4 as well.... but would allow me some more options for timing and stuff if I went that route.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #313
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't know all that stuff is just overkill for me. I have plenty of timers around for lights, I'm not worried about my skimmer overflowing, and an overflow is very unlikely.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #314
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

That's not really why... I have to turn my skimmer off when I kill my return pump because it'll overflow if I don't. So, I'm going to have one module with my return pump, skimmer, ato, and reactor pump so I can just switch that whole module off when I need to turn the system off. I can also have the skimmer shut off when I feed, not that I plan to, but I know some people do that. The lights will all be controlled by the controller so that I can do dusk/dawn and moonlights without having 3 separate timers. It's going to really help with my cord management, as I have everything on a 4' powerbar behind the tank now and have to unplug things individually. I'm also planning on purchasing a battery backup for my MP10 in the event of a power outage. I have to Optima Deep Cycle batteries and a big inverter if I ever need them, but people average 48+ hours running their MP10 on a battery backup, and I can use the trolling batteries for other essential items like a heater, and lighting if I really need to (extended outage). Just thinking ahead. And I agree, it's not necessary... but it is really cool and will give me a lot of peace of mind when I'm away. Especially if I decide on the net module.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 01-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #315
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh and the float switch thing. You could run the float switches in series then it would only take up one port. But if you plan on getting the sl1 and sl2 you'll have enough anyways.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #316
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Yeah, I had considered that... but since I'm wanting the salinity probe anyways, it just makes sense.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #317
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oic. I just run my return and skimmer on one powerstrip. It's easier for me to flip a switch that to go in standby.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #318
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I would do that, but I don't want to go buy a bunch of GFCI outlets and risk running everything through powerstrips that I have seen fail several times. I refuse to hook anything up to my tank that isn't on a GFCI.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #319
Aquarium Advice Freak

How do your powerstrips fail? Do u use gfci powerstrips? I userstand the concern, but if you outlet is gfci then u don't really need the strip to be. I've actually never seen a gfci strip, but I've never looked and I'm sure they make em. The rk4 isn't gfci.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #320
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

No, I have GFCI plugs, but I'd need several to put things on power strips... and I've seen power strips melt down. I'm not an electrician, but I'd be concerned putting my return pump and skimmer on a powerstrip together after seeing how tiny the connections are inside one. The power bar I have has heavy duty (8 gauge I think) wire and is designed for use in a shop with heavy draw equipment. If you haven't figured it out yet, I tend to over think things and I never settle for 'it'll do'.

Tags
breed, breeder, build, build thread, journal, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com