Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #331
AA Team Emeritus

Based on the height of your tank, I believe you will find the t5s more than adequate to keep anything you want. Like you and I discussed, if you go MH, I'd bet you could only run them a couple hours a day without bleaching things out. We'll see what others thoughts are.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #332
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I appreciate your input... and please don't take this like I'm somehow disputing your advice at all... but I've found that for everything in this hobby, particularly lighting, there are literally thousands of opinions that conflict each other. It's so hard to make heads or tails of any of it.

I'd rather go with the 6x HO fixture, even though it is more expensive, as it'll be cheaper to run and no expensive MH bulbs to replace. I do, however, want to be able to grow any coral I want, particularly SPS. I guess I'm all about overkill,but I definitely don't want to bleach my corals. It seems that for every person that says one thing, there are two others that say different. I'm curious about other opinions as well, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with my gut instinct and stick with my initial plan of the 6x HO fixture.

Ahhh... sucks being new to this side of the hobby haha.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #333
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think you'll be able to grow anything under the t5s. My lfs keeps all their frags under under t5s. Granted their just frags so their not really "growing" them, and their not necessarily keep them long, but they look good and healthy. And their fixtures are like two feet over the tank.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #334
Aquarium Advice Freak

Build your own LED fixture. They are the best. You can do whatever color temp you want without replacing bulbs. They save tons of energy and have better growth than anything else out there! For about $400 you can make a fixture that will do anything and more than MH and T5 combined.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #335
Aquarium Advice Freak

Awesome tank by the way haha
Old 02-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #336
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
I appreciate your input... and please don't take this like I'm somehow disputing your advice at all... but I've found that for everything in this hobby, particularly lighting, there are literally thousands of opinions that conflict each other. It's so hard to make heads or tails of any of it.

I'd rather go with the 6x HO fixture, even though it is more expensive, as it'll be cheaper to run and no expensive MH bulbs to replace. I do, however, want to be able to grow any coral I want, particularly SPS. I guess I'm all about overkill,but I definitely don't want to bleach my corals. It seems that for every person that says one thing, there are two others that say different. I'm curious about other opinions as well, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with my gut instinct and stick with my initial plan of the 6x HO fixture.

Ahhh... sucks being new to this side of the hobby haha.
Don't worry, not taking it that way at all. I understand all about getting more opinions and everyone telling you something different. Just wanted to rethrow mine out there , since we didn't talk about the bleaching factor.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:54 AM   #337
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshnoob1
Build your own LED fixture. They are the best. You can do whatever color temp you want without replacing bulbs. They save tons of energy and have better growth than anything else out there! For about $400 you can make a fixture that will do anything and more than MH and T5 combined.
Building one would definitely be cheaper and good lighting. But the awesome thing about the good led fixtures (the only two I really know off hand are the sol and radion) are the controllers. Being able to change the colors whenever (Christmas, Halloween, Mardi Gras, Fourth of July, Easter themes), dusk, dawn, thunderstorms, etc, etc. That's what's up. That's y I'm just gonna sit on a relatively cheap t-5 for a couple years and wait for prices to drop.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #338
AA Team Emeritus

T5's will be fine, but LED is the way to go <g>. No bulbs to replace, just get a new one in 10 years. A 120w is 400w MH equivalent.

BTW, for great pics, go to B&H and get a Panasonic Lumix DMC-T53 or the Nikon Coolpix AW100 Waterproof Digital Camera (Black)

I got the Panasonic and love it. The fish tend to scatter, but for coral close-ups it can't be beat.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #339
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Did you make any HD vids yet Cmor?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #340
AA Team Emeritus

Not yet Doug, but now that you mention it, maybe this weekend. Then you can help me diagnose a problem area

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breed, breeder, build, build thread, journal, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com