Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

If I remember right directions should come with the overflow, but I would stay at least an inch and a half below the top edge.

Looks like you've got quite a bit of space between the baffles? Practice makes perfect on the silicon ~ LOL, I should know, I've had a lot of practice and I'm still no where close to perfect. Blue painters help to clean up the edges may help some. Did you use acrylic or glass for the baffles?

Keep in mind the sump is out of sight, so its not like it has to be perfect.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #32
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Yeah, I hope it to be functional. A quick test should tell over the weekend once everything dries out. If it works, great. If not, well... I have that 15g manufactured sump to fall back on.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #33
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Made some good progress today. Just waitin on the silicone to cure and I'll be ready to set this thing up. Sand won't be here until Monday or Tuesday, but I may just add it in later anyways. Got the tank drilled (and almost had a stroke), overflow temporarily installed (gotta put the gaskets on and stuff... going to wait until I pick up the plumbing supplies tomorrow), and the rock placed how I was wanting it after thinking about it for a bit. I'm sure that'll change, but I managed to get it almost exactly how I had been thinking it out over the last few days. Getting really excited now. Drilling isn't that bad either. Once I got over the fear of cracking the tank, it went pretty smooth. Definitely let everyone within a 10 mile radius know I was working in the basement though... man that was loud.

Scraped off the paint-

Got a circle started with the template-

And I worried over nothing-

With Overflow installed-

My return idea-

And, my rock plan-

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 12-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good job. It seems so scary to drill glass. I bought 4 panes to practice on. It turned out to be easy. Glad yours went well.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #35
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Thanks I was actually quite happy with it. To be honest, I was scared out of my mind. No idea why... it's a $40 tank... but succeeding my first time without issue was certainly encouraging. I just got done gluing all my fittings together for my return. I put a union in because I wanted the ability to remove the pump for maintenance, without having to use flexible tubing. I just hope I measured right haha. Guess thats why I bought a few extra elbows. I'm going to pick up some pipe to plumb my overflow tomorrow. I think I'm going to use 45's instead of 90's, to try and eliminate any restrictions. I'm not going to glue anything together though, until I've tested it and know for sure my sump is going to work. I want to avoid having to cut everything apart in the event that my sump is junk and I have to revert back to the smaller one. I don't have to worry about the return pump, since I'll be moving the sump to that side if I have to. I'm going to start making water tomorrow. I'll probably set this up Tuesday or Wednesday to give everything some time to cure, and to go ahead and get my sand in. The more I think about it, the less I want to do that after the water is in.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #36
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Got everything plumbed tonight. Letting it dry overnight, then doing a functionality check tomorrow. If all goes as planned, sand will go in when it gets here (crossing my fingers that'll be Monday), and we'll be ready to set this thing up. I've got water being made now, got 10 gallons made so far, another 40ish to go.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #37
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Tested everything out. Works perfect... or at least, it works. Sump is running a bit higher than I wanted, but it still has over an inch of room left after everything drains when I unplug the pump. I've tested it with the return lines in several different heights to make sure there was no extra siphon once it drains to the holes. The waiting game is almost over.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

When you say an inch of room, do you mean its just too full? I did that with mine and once everything settled in, it was fine. With evaporation, it should be ok. Just set your ato at the right height.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:04 AM   #39
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Well, what I mean is that if I unplug the pump, the sump fills up to about 1" below the top. So, I'm not too full, it's just more than I had thought. Originally, I thought I might have put my overflow down too far, because I put it 1/2" lower than I wanted per the instructions based on their recommendation that the overflow would run about half way up the teeth... they were right. It easily handles the mag7, but there's still a good 3-4 gallons to overflow once the pump shuts off.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glass holes overflow?

Tags
breed, breeder, build, build thread, journal, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com